Unlock or Reset an unknown password

Julie_09

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I was resetting my password and left my desk for a moment and left it open and my youngest son walked up to the keyboard and ran his fingers thru the keyboard at the the same time pressed enter and there for setting a new password. I dont know how to unlock or reset this password. Im still unable to log into my computer as it prompts for the password. HELP????

bpjb81

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Reboot your PC and start in safe mode (F8 on boot up), log into the administrator account and then go to the control panel, user accounts and reset the password on your account.

Orion1024

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Or, you can make a bootable Windows CD with BartPE and put NTPWEDIT on it for resetting the password. You would need access to another computer and a Windows XP setup disc to do it, though.

techgeek

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004
Check out the following site:

http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

I have used this many times. The only issue is that if you have made the user files of that account private, you won't be able to access them with out the password, but you'll be able to log into windows. The software has the option to recover the password, but I have never used it, I guess you could give it a shot. I just blank the password to get into windows and then create a new password. This software is very useful when the IT department of your company has given you a laptop with so few account priveliges that you can't do your job.

Anyway I can vouch for this software. It is a bit crude (no GUI), but you should be able to figure it out. It's Linux based. It will autodetect IDE drives, but if you have an SATA drive you have to tell it to automatically detect and install the controllers drivers and then it will find the drive. Most of the rest of it will work from the defaulted options.