How to unlock second core?(5200+ AMD x2)

rodney007

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Hi guys,

been reading alot abot people unlocking cores to unleash there cpu's true potential.

I have a AMD 5200+ dual core cpu (2.7ghz stock)

was just wondering if they run with both cores anyway, or is there anything else i can do (other than over clock) to get better cpu performance?

(stock 2.7ghz = 1934 points
(OC 2.94ghz = 2200 points

NEED MORE !!!!!!!!!! :) thanks guys

xaira

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
do you mean that ur 5200+ only showes 1 core?
or it showes both cores and ur wondering if you can get more cores?

the x2 5200+ is a native dual, which means that theyre arent any dormant cores.
only current generation am2+ and am3 cpus are capable of unlocking cores and cache

rodney007

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
how do i know? you say "only shows 1 core"
where does it show the cores used? just says 2.7 ghz dual core in my computer properties

jitpublisher

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
How many CPU charts do you have in your task manager?
How many CPU's are showing in your Device manager?
A dual core uses both cores. If it is not, then something is wrong.

Now about the disabled core thing and making it sound way over simple.....
The latest generation AMD cpus are quad cores. To get the new triple core CPUs, they use the same die, they just disable 1 core. The disabled core could be from a perfectly good quad, or they may have been defective in some way so they would not work correctly as a quad. Some motherboards will allow you to force the disabled cores to work. You might get lucky and get one that works, or you might not. It is a crap shoot.

Want more performance? If your board supports it, buy 1 of the new quad, or tri cores, (phenom II's) and clock them at about 3.4ghz.
That should do you nicely. If you want more than that, you will have to go i7.

xaira

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
right click the taskbar, go to task manager, go to performance, in the cpu usage history section are there 2 graphs or 1?