Will the Phenom II 545 unlock as well?

Societysdead

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Put your mind to it and...............................
YES YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My specs should be below I've just got to run a stability test so I can show my baby running smooth in quad on my gigabyte 770 MOBO

However when I put the HD4870 in I dropped it back down to two cores Woooooooooooo (otherwise running with a 450w PSU it'd prob just die)

Joe

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
ummm is this a native dual core or an disabled X4?

there is some say that the newer x2 BE and what nots will be native, since yields are enough that any new X4s will be X4s or they loose money.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
545 is just a 550 with a locked multi. But, your statemant about AMD loosing money if they continue disabling x4 to x2 is rue then it is not at the same time. Many times these cores are disabled for a reason, such as instability when testers pushed it hard or high voltage leakage or errors During QC. Many times these reasons are sufficient to lock out cores to sell the product and not lose money, because it took them money to make the die. Now these core errors do not neccessarily means the chip or the cores are bad just tht AMD did not think it would last real long in life ie- Warranty security. When unlocking these cores some times they work great for a while then die for the reasons AMD locked them. ?Then there are the cores that got locked becauase of demand for a x2 not x4's. These chips are good all the way around and many will beat the 955 in benchmarks. Unfortunately it is hard to tell if you have purchased these specific batch of 550's. As for future x4's being disabled to meet quota and because of bad cores......... this will continue to happens for the forseeable future. This is because of the way these dies are made. IE- Processor manufacturers cannot make a low line product and add to it to make a better product they must make the better product first and disable something to make it an inferior product to meet demand. Intel works the same way.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
ah, but there are no I7 X2s are there, they are taking a hit with those I'll bet (no new tech is going to be 100% yield, no way lol.

When the yields improve, and the X4s begin to mature and less of them fail, they will either go and design a new dual core design with PhII arch/process or else disable perfectly good X4s to X2 to fill the demand if it is big.

here is the list I go by, the older batches are documented better, and some of then are known batches to unlock, some are not.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=227004

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
native dual, not disabled quad,

what do they do with failed i7s is what I want to know, intel don't seems to be doing these disabled failed core deals much, unless they can have yields so high that it's impractical to have a disabled quad/duo/something.

Or are they playing the channel? taking a hit there so that things like this don't happen?

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
AMDS NEXT BIG MOVE

The first Fusion processor is code-named Shrike, which will, if our sources are right, consist of a dual-core Phenom CPU and an ATI RV800 GPU core. This news is actually a big surprise, as Shrike was originally rumored to debut as a combination of a dual-core Kuma CPU and a RV710-based graphics unit. A few more quarters of development time gave AMD time to continue working on a low-end RV800-based core to be integrated with Fusion. RV800 chips will be DirectX 10.1 compliant and are expected to deliver a bit more than just a 55 nm-40 nm dieshrink.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
While Shrike will debut as a 40 nm chip, the processor is scheduled to transition to 32 nm at the beginning of 2010 - not much later than Intel will introduce 32 nm - and serve as a stop-gap before the next-gen CPU core, code-named "Bulldozer" arrives. The Bulldozer-based chip, code-named “Falcon”, will debut with TSMC's 32nm SOI process, instead of the originally planned 45 nm.

As Fusion is shaping up right, we should expect the chip be become the first half-node CPU (between 45 and 32 nm) in a very long time.

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
If Intel was going to disable 2 cores on a working quad they would laser-cut the 2 cores off...those rip offs!

They find every way to minimize the advantages for the customers...

Anyway for those who are interested, I have an PII X2 550 unlocked succesfully on a Gigabyte GA MA770T

UD3P motherboard with an SB710 chipset. I updated the bios to the f2c version and it unlocked successfully.

The batch number of mu CPU is 0922CPMW.

zepita

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
Hi guys, I have just received a Biostar TA790GXA3+ with ACC.
I was wondering if the dies are better in black edition and may give me more chances to get stable 3 or 4 cores or it is just a matter of luck?
I can get only x2 545 for a good price since BE is overpriced in my country. It's worth the price? I'm not planning to OC a lot, just try to enable cores.
Thanks in advance for your reply.

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
I personally own a 550 BE and I'm running it unlocked 24/7 @3.4Ghz. I don't know if the chances of unlocking are the same for the 545, but I know that the chances of unlocking a 550 are approximately 70:30 (70% that it will unlock and 30% that it won't)
I would recommend buying the 550 BE, it's only a few bucks more expensive then the 545...
Overclocking with the multiplier is a breeze so the few extra bucks make up for it!
I also know many other people who had success unlocking their 550s...

zigzagzen

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
No they won't start manufacturing Phenom X2's or X3's as native dual/triple core - they will keep disabling cores - it is much cheaper than designing a new chip. For this reason the possibility to upgrade your X2 or X3 by unlocking will constantly increase - unless AMD do what Nvidia have done with their latest GPU's and laser lock the disabilities such that they can not be reversed (in Nvidia's case to stop you using a retail card as it's equivalent Quadro professional model). .... Or do what Intel seem to be doing and create shortages of certain chips to keep prices level.

In the beginning ... when Phenom failure rates were higher then most of the Phenom X3's were disabled due to die errors .... but then demand for X3's outstripped supply of failed dies and at that point AMD started crippling them just to fill boxes.

This was in no small part due to improvements in QC at the manufacturing stage and a reduction in duds coming off the line. Standard in the industry ... manufacturing improves quickly with practice.

And Intel do get up to the same kind of business - look at the "Dual Core inside" range of processors. In fact all chip manufacturers do this not just the CPU boys. Chips are graded then poked into a slot they can fill ... Opterons were the best quality AMD chip's and the rest became Athlon x64's.

Similarly certain Nvidia retail cards can be soft modded to be recognised and work with Nvidia Quadro drivers, turning a $100 card into a card worth several times more that. In this case it is less due to chip quality (though that may be a factor) and down to driver development and support for professional the cards/market.

Matthew

zigzagzen

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

They are not doing this yet or your X2 550 WOULD NOT be unlocked .... but they may copy Nvidia and do this as production quality (and knowledge of un-lockability) rise.

Matthew

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
My X2 550 is an AMD and yes AMD don't do it yet, and probably wont ever do it.
But I was saying that if intel locked cores they would laser-cut the locked cores off...