Newb cant unlock multiplier - Did I get rooked?

slamtry

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
I wanted to try my hand at overclocking and so bought what I was told was an AMD Phenom triple core 720be. I have just got the machine running on an ASRock motherboard (AOD790gx/128m) which supports core unlocking. All works fine but I can't even manage to unlock the multiplier, either in the BIOS or with ASRock's OC tuner utility. Is it possible I got sold a regular Phenom triple core rather than a "Black Edition"? If so, how could I find out?

Or to put it another way, is there anyone who can tell me how to unlock the multiplier? Baby steps please: I'm a newb.

Lmeow

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
Well did you try going to the multiplier option and changing it in the BIOS? If you want to check whether your CPU really is a Black Edition or not, download CPU-Z and check what it says up in the 'Name', and it should say 'AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition'.

Motopsychojdn

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
^Thats before you use A.c.c., afterwards it will name the chip as whatever 4core it becomes.
Have you checked bios before and after using A.c.c.?
I found AsRock's O.c. tuner a bit strange tbh, I unlocked mine using A.c.c. (0% on all cores) and used the Ez overclocking option in bios, just worked my way up to 20% slowly,Good luck :)
Moto

slamtry

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Okay. I guess I got ripped off then, because CPU-Z reports it as just a AMD Phenom X3.