Athlon 435 x3 unlocking 4th core?

Motopsychojdn

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
not seeing anything on asus webby for that mobo to unlock, however if there is anything, it should be in your bios, AsRock have something called A.C.C. advanced chip calibration, you may have something similar but youll have to look I'm afraid
also, bear in mind that you aren't guaranteed a successful unlocking, but its nice if you can get it :)
Moto

buzznut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007

If you don't have a motherboard that includes hardware unlocking, You'll have to use ACC to unlock cores. ACC is available on a few chipsets, namely SB 710 chuipsets and SB 750.

Asrock makes a N68 nVidia motherboard that has hardware unlocking, it is called UCC. Other than that, I don't know of any other N68 chipsets that do core unlocking.
Yep, that mobo has an nVdia Geforce 7025 chipset. It does not have ACC, so you can not unlock with that mobo.

Other than the Previously mentioned N68 board from Asrock, you can find ACC on 790GX and 785G motherboards with SB 750 and 710 respectively.

But with the money it would cost you to get a new motherboard, you could get yourself a quad core. I recommend you enjoy your triple core and stop worrying about unlocking.

Motopsychojdn

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
AsRocks M3a770de is a cheap enough board
theres an open box right now http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157176R&cm_re=m3a770de-_-13-157-176R-_-Product
but personally id just buy the normal one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157176&cm_re=m3a770de-_-13-157-176-_-Product save any potential hassles,
they unlock cores fine but as I said, dont depend on a successful unlock, its a bonus if you can but if you wanted/needed a quad, you should've bought one imo, not sure about warranty voiding, like any manf, they'd probably try and wriggle saying you'd damaged it yourself by attempting to access something that was locked off
Moto

buzznut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007

Here is the Asrock board I mentioned last night :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157204

$45
Look, you could sell your current tri core on ebay for $70. Then you could purchase a quad core by adding $15 and you'll be set. Keeping your current cpu and buying a new motherboard may result in absolutely no change. I bought a X3 725 for my wife hoping it would unlock, it didn't. I also have a Smepron 140 I was hoping to unlock, it also didn't with several different motherboards.

Your chasing a holy grail that you could spend a lot of money on, when its quite likely you simply have a CPU that isn't unlockable.

That's an interesting point about voiding the warranty, I have not heard that unlocking cores will void the warranty. However, overclocking does void the warranty on your CPU so I imagine this is the same type of modification that would be frowned upon.

AMD didn't tell the motherboard guys to allow unlocking on their cpu's, in fact when AMD produced the 800 series motherboard chipsets, they removed ACC so that people wouldn't continue to unlock-because AMD wants to sell quad cores.

The mobo manufacturers were the ones who decided to add hardware unlocking. For this reason alone I believe that unlocking may void the warranty.