AMD 555 unlock troubles

KirkR

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
my AMD 555 Phenom II X2 BE arrived today, and I had been very excited to unlock the two dormant cores. I changed the ACC to auto, and EC to hybrid.. or whichever is the correct, I know what to do when in the BIOS, anyway, I did that. restarted my computer, and it didn't boot, so I upped the Voltage +0.025V and it booted, but the sounds were incredibly scratchy, and the video was F'd up. Hoping someone could shed some light, any help's appreciated. Thinking it could have something to do with my power supply, but if that were the case, wouldn't it just not boot?

Specs: Gigabyte MA785G-UD3H
AMD 555 Phenom II X2 BE
Corsair Dominator 1066 DDR2 4GB RAM
Nvidia GTS 250 1GB
BFG 550W Power Supply

beanoslim

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
When I unlocked mine it needed 0.025v and was stable to 3.6ghz quad.

I'd suggest more voltage, remember theres no guarantee that it will work but seems like you have a chance.

Your other option it to try triple core, you may just have 1 bad core.

Good luck

KirkR

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

I tried upping the voltage in BIOS to 1.4250 and 1.45. neither helped, it still booted up, but the same problems arose. I've spent the last couple hours tweaking phenommsrtweaker. I've gotten the X2 to remain stable at 3.7GhZ.

even though the sound and video were screwed up, I tried to run Prime95 with the 2 cores unlocked. when I pressed "ok" to start the test, prime95 just closed, nothing else though. it just closed.

If I were to unlock just one core for an X3, how would I do that? because I have no idea.

Thanks for the help :)

beanoslim

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
I forgot to say make sure you have the most up to date bios for your board, do this before anything else.

1.5v is the max I ever go to with good cooling but prefer to stay within the 1.45 range if pos.

On my board there is the option of All Cores or Per Core you nee to look for something like that.

I set mine to Per Core and can highlight each of the 4 cores, the highlighted ones are to be unlocked.

Mine does 3.9ghz dual core on 1.475v and 3.7ghz quad on 1.475v.

Another test you can try is OCCT, it only takes 1 hr and monitors temps as well.

Remember to reset your OC before updating your bios or unlocking cores.

You could even try underclocking your cpu speed to see if it helps.

UPDATE - Apparantly the new bios enables individual core unlocking.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3138&dl=1#bios

KirkR

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

I'll try downloading the update and see what happens. although, I already have the options to select "All cores" or "per core". and even then, all the values are at 2%, how would I change that so the core ISN'T unlocked?

beanoslim

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
You may already have the up to date bios then..

On my board I set the ACC to per core, it then gives me a 3 step option of 1,2,3 or 1,2,4.

On my board you cant lock up the 2 primary cores but on a mates Asus XFire board you can also lock core 2 which gives him the option 1,3,4 also.

Check your bios is current then have a stroll through your bios settings to see if you can find something similar.

You may find the newest bios enables 4 core unlock, hopefully anyways. :D

KirkR

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

I'll keep playing around with it. I'm getting the BIOS update now, because that isn't familiar to me. mine says this

EC Firmware [Hybrid]
ACC [per core]
All Cores 2%
Core 0 2%
Core 1 2%
Core 2 2%
Core 3 2%

and It gives me the option to change the percentages.

odd though, because CPU-Z recognizes it as a Phenom II X4, as does my computer. but like I said, the sounds are scratchy and video is screwed up. I have a few prtScns of examples. my skype wouldn't launch and chrome wouldn't load any pages, it said the link was broken, or some such information like that.

beanoslim

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
Ok so I just checked my bios settings and ACC is set to auto. I have the same core % options like you but below I have the option - AMD FAMILY 10H CORE SETTING. That is where my triple core options are.

When mine is unlocked its registered as a Phenom II x4 B55.

It really sounds like you do have a dodgy core or 2 on yours with these problems and the shutting down with P95.

Try downloading coretemp open it up and run something to see if all cores are being used.

Hope the bios update brings you more options.

KirkR

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

I downloaded the update, extracted the files to my desktop, and clicked on FLASHSPI. I'm not sure what that did, but the GIGABYTE site said something about flashing my BIOS, and the other file that extracted didn't do anything, so I figured that was the one.

I went into BIOS, went to the ACC settings and nothing changed. there was no AMD FAMILY 10TH CORE SETTING anywhere to be found. I already have coretemp, it's what I used to make sure my CPU didn't overheat while using P95, it said all cores were being used. same with Phenommsrtweaker, it detected the four cores too.

beanoslim

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
You can check your bios version with cpu-z to make sure it matches the latest one.

Usually when it updates you see it updating, writing blocks etc.

Update your bios in your bios using Q Flash.

KirkR

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

It doesn't want to go from F3 to F5G. I tried going from F3 to F4 too, and that didn't work. there isn't anything in the window when I open the little BIOS flashing thing. the Run window just pops up and goes away, with nothing inside. I rebooted my computer after wards too, and CPU-Z still shows it as F3.

KirkR

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

I just went into Q-flash and saw the update BIOS from drive option. I didn't see any auto-updating options. I'll look harder, but I'm still going to but the BIOS file on my USB flash drive, see if that works.

beanoslim

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
Have you had a look at the manual - http://ee.giga-byte.com/download/mb/manual/21865/ Check bios section.

If it still doesn't works after you have sorted the bios you may have to accept that its been locked for a reason.

But the bios update was supposed to help so hope you get it sorted.

KirkR

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

I got it to work, CPU-Z recognizes F4 BIOS. but it looks exactly the same. I couldn't find the option you were talking about. nothing changed, really.

beanoslim

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
Keep Googling around to see if you can find any more info.

Bump the voltage up to 1.475v but watch your temps.

Many more cpu's are locked for a reason than unlockable.

Apparently amd had so many quads and ran out of dual cores, rather than make more duals they just locked up the quads an sold them as duals. If your luckey enough to get one of these like I was then its ok, if you get one of the batch that was locked because its faulty you just have a dual core, its just luck of the draw, but worth a try.

KirkR

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

I've already bumped my voltage up to 1.475v. I'll look around for the BIOS option you were talking about, but if I can't find it or if it doesn't work, oh well. I still have a 3.8GhZ dual core ;). Just out of curiosity, what were your settings for the 3.9GhZ OC you were talking about eariler?

Thanks for all your help man, I appreciate it :)

beanoslim

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
I just did mine on the multiplier 200x19.5 @1.475v. Didn't go into too much as it unlocked.

It did nearly 4ghz on a Asus XFire board!

I've got 4gig of Crucial DDR1066 @ 5-5-5-18-23-2T 2.1v.

I didn't have to touch HT/NB voltage as I didn't change the bus speed.

Did you try underclocking, set you multiplier at say x12.

I've just thought also when I went from dual to quad the memory needed a voltage increase too..

Try setting your mem at a lower speed with the looser timings or bump your mem voltage up a bit.

No worries, hope you find it. [:bohleyk:1]

KirkR

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

I tried the 19.5 multi. wasn't stable. 19 is okay though. I think the most I'm going to get is 3.8GhZ. I wouldn't know how to get any higher than that.

I tried underclocking when I unlocked too, same problem. then I set the multi at norm and upped the mem voltage twice, first time .1v, second time .2v. neither time helped, I think it's just the cores.