Unlocking core of amd phenom BE 550 X2

baalkikhaal

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
Sir,
Is there a locked core in the Phenom BE 550 X2 processor. If so is it advisable to unlock it. If it is ok, how to go about unlocking it. My Asus motherboard has a functionality to unlock core.

Thanks in advance
baalkikhaal

damric

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Yes. It is a native quad. I unlocked my 550 into B50x4 using ACC. It doesn't necessarily mean you will be stable. The other two cores likely did not meet the binning requirements, meaning you may need to apply more voltage, and fine-tune your clocks to see how much headroom they have. It might not even boot up if the cores are very bad, or you might not have any trouble at all. Mine would randomly revert to x2 every time I would power down, and sometimes I would need to power down ten times before ACC would pick up the other two cores again. Another quirk is that you will most likely lose all CPU temperature monitoring, so make sure you have good cooling if you are flying blind.

extremebadass

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009

Activate advanced clock calibration on gigabyte mobos you set it to all cores,hybrid.Reboot if it don't crash check with cpuid to see if you have four cores. If it don't than try with 3x cores and see if crashes.Good luck.I had an amd phenomii x3 BE and it was'nt stable on 4 cores....