Unlocking X2 545 problem

TheSLIck1990

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
Recently I've tried to unlock the 545 with the ASUS Core Unlocker. Luckily, it unlocked the 4 cores. But unfortunately, I think it's not stable. My computer was start getting all sorts of errors after I logged in to my account, but my computer wasnt freezing or anything. Can someone tell me why its unstable? And if its possible to fix it in the bios?

T_T

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Generally, instability is the result of insufficient voltage to the CPU. However, if you didn't turn off/disable the power saving features in your BIOS, the instability may be the result of said power saving features, such as Cool n' Quiet. These power saving features allow software, usually the OS, to adjust the clock cycles and voltage to the CPU, when the load demand isn't high. This is done in an effort to reduce power consumption by your computer.

T_T

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Yes. Manually is the best way to make adjustments. You should also note that not all CPUs with disabled cores will be stable if the hidden/disabled cores are "unlocked". Still, it doesn't hurt to try. Once in your BIOS, manually disable C n' Q and C1E (if available). If your system is still unstable, try increasing your Vcore, one step up at a time.

T_T

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Unfortunately, I don't know what your BIOS looks like, so I can't be sure how the vcore is increased. Some mobos will allow you to hit the "+" key to increase; some have preset values. Whichever way your BIOS allows you to increase, just increase by one step up at a time. For example: Press the "+" key once, save, test stability in Windows; or increase one preset, save, test.

Doing the above mentioned procedure is very risky with a stock cooler. You may have decent temps now, but increasing the vcore will also increase your temps, after all, the CPU temp is a derivative of speed plus voltage.