How to unlock the extra cores for AMD Phenom II X2 555 BLACK EDITION

labman39

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Would be much appreciated if anyone could show me how to unlock the extra cores of AMD Phenom II X2 555 BLACK EDITION using a Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 motherboard. Do you need to get a special CPU cooler like the Zalman CNPS10X Extreme rather than the stock standard cooler ? Thanks.

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
there should be a core unlocking feature in your bios. as far as a different cpu cooler, that depends on your temps. Download CoreTemp, its an app that will allow you to monitor your cpu temps in real time. if they start approaching 60c+ under a full load, you will want to look for an aftermarket cooler. i would highly suggest the Zalman 9700 series (90mm ball-bearing). Its appealing to the eye, and it is a beast! Easy installation as well.

labman39

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Thanks for your advice. I went through the BIOS settings and found the CPU Unlock setting and enabled it. At first I thought it was not working as after enabling it, I could only see 2 cores but then after subsequent reboots, I finally found all 4 cores
(CPU core 0 to 4) are enabled. Now I just have to get the Zalman 9700 and see how far I can overclock it. With the Zalman, do you need to remove the mobo from the case and the original brackets for the stock cooler in order to be able to install it ?

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
no, you should be able to install it while the mobo is in the case. it might be tight depending on how big your hands are, but i can palm a basketball and still fit in there with a little persistance. Congrats on unlocking the cores too!