Should I unlock the 4th core on AMD Phenom II X3 720 @ 2.8Ghz or Triple Core @ 3

BlackEdition720

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Assuming the 4th core is stable but at a lower frequency than when its at triple core. Which would be more beneficial for games such as Skyrim and Battlefield 3?

Assuming X4 @ 2.8Ghz or 3.0Ghz and X3 at 3.2Ghz

Also what would be a safe temperature using the 4th unlocked core? I'm getting 64 degrees max load with prime test, is that dangerous?

Solution
x3 cores at 3.3ghz
x3 cores is where you need to be at for gaming, and +.3 is a 10% increase which is pretty safe, not so much significant, but a good start until you can get better temperatures and cooling.

mjello

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
3 cores is just about what is effisciently used in the best of games out there. So I wouldn't expect you to feel much of a difference.

Try it. I don't know if it can be undone. But assuming it can. No harm in trying.

Motopsychojdn

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
I'd look at your voltages, maybe you can get the same clocks with a bit less juice, that will help bring the temps down a touch, also are you on stock heatsink? aftermarket unit could be a great investment there for you

I have an X3 435 at four cores on 3.2GHz, occasionally it resets to 3 cores and I don't actually notice, I only play WoW but still, I would try three cores at 3.2GHz rather than four at lower to be honest
Moto

Oowah

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
x3 cores at 3.3ghz
x3 cores is where you need to be at for gaming, and +.3 is a 10% increase which is pretty safe, not so much significant, but a good start until you can get better temperatures and cooling.

Solution