HELP. Can I unlock non BE phenom X4 9850 cpu multiplier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boston617b

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Is it possible to unlock the cpu multiplier on a non Black Edition Phenom X4 9850? With it stock it has 2.51gb, but the best I can do with the locked multiplier is 2.63gb that is stable. I say stable because when I try to go further, in the POST BIOS screen it tells me that the boot fails and to go back to the BIOS and set the default settings. But it also says that I can press F1 and it will boot up. so I have gotten it to 2.88gb but thats just from pressing F1 at the boot failed screen. So I only assume that it means that its not stable. This is my first overclocking but my cpu multiplier can only go up to 12.5 and when I research people talk about overclocking with at least a 15 multiplier. So I figure that with a higher multiplier i can make it more stable. Can someone please help.

PC specs:

Asus M2N-SLI
AMD Phenom X4 9850
Hynex 4gb 800 Memory
GeForce GTX 260

Solution
Your HT should be 4x. 667 on your RAMs is fine. As long as your memory is within the posted JEDEC specs as reported in CPUz you may set everything on 'Auto' including voltage.

The issue is that your motherboard (nVidia chipset) does not split power delivery to the CPU and memory controller. Controlling their voltages and speeds independently leads to much better over-clocking. There's a reason nVidia finally had to stop making new AMD chipsets, and this is one of them.

Changes in the AMD southbridge also improved Phenom over-clocking, and introduced Advanced Clock Calibration. That's where core-unlocking comes from.

As long as you find a 95w CPU you should be fine but I wouldn't expect to get much further than 200-230MHz on the...

truegenius

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
we can not unlock multipliyer of a locked one.
looks like you can only hit 208 mhz fsb
you can hit 275mhz of fsb ie upto cpu will be at 3.4ghz.
Change this setting in bios in ram timing
tRFC1 to 195ns or 327.5ns
TCL to 6
TRCD to 6
TRP to 6
TRAS to 18
TRC to 24
and set fsb at 230 for initial testing and ram at 400mhz
also reduce nb multiplier by 2 (you can use cputweaker)
please keep posting for further guidence

edit: replace trfc1 with trfc0 in above settings

Headspin_69

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

That CPU is a real dawg you would be far better served getting a newer architecture because the Phenom was a real flop for AMD however most Phenom II chips are decent.

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

@truegenius-->How can you assume that those RAM settings will work.... [:grahamlv:3]

Simply put, No you cannot unlock the multiplier on that chip...If you have the option to set your RAM speed to 667 MHz then raise the FSB to 240 that will give you...RAM @ 800 MHz and CPU @ 3.0 GHz...Then you are gonna have to make sure your NB an HT speeds are set manually to where it will stay close to spec. I think 1000 MHz or 1600 MHz...Also, you are gonna have to bump up the CPU voltage accordingly...CAUTION: TAKE EXTRA CARE IN VOLTAGE ADJUSTMENT...BABY STEPS !!!!

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

OP would have to upgrade his entire system...We are here to help with the existing Rig not recommend they just go buy new parts.. [:mousemonkey]

truegenius

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011

those ram settings are only for a begning and to keep ram in its limit so we can find the limit of cpu.

And it is not a assumption, it is the result of attempts of overclocking of my system, and those settings works with my sys which have non-BE cpu, but i can hit 275mhz fsb in it with those settings

and trfc1 (at 195 or 375.5) is the main setting which will allow user to set higher fsb, and other are only to relax ram

also i was waiting to share these settings ever since i got them, and this seems to be the right case to share that.

boston617b

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Thanks for the replies everyone and yes its true that even though we have the same hardware that they might not produce the same results, but it doesnt hurt to try. I will be trying these recommendations as sonn as I get some free time and will post back. Also if I set fsb over 210 then I will get a boot fail at the BIOS screen, anyone know whats thats about?

boston617b

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
So I tried the timing settings suggested and they worked out ok, but as I tried to push further to acheive 3.0, cputweaker, which I set to boot on, had stuck with it and I got a bsod at 240 fsb. So, since the cputweaker was set on boot, I kept getting automatic restarts like 20 or 30 seconds in after restart. I was finally able to manually tweak down the memory timings though and got my system stable. So the best I can do is 230 fsb.
@TrueGenius
You said that I should change the tRFC1 to 195 or 327ns and the only way I figured out how to do that is in cputweaker, but in there the options are dimm0 through dimm3. So when you say tRFC1, do you mean dimm0 or dimm1? Cause as you stated, it allows you to up the fsb when adjusting that specific memory timing

boston617b

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
I am sorry to ask but what exactly is the nb multiplier? Is it the same as the cpu multiplier? Well I know it means "northbridge multiplier" but I dont know how to reduce and where to reduce it.

truegenius

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
use cpu tweaker in cpu tab their is a section named uncore in which their is a multiplier (i think it is at x9) reduce it by 1 and apply , it will request restart.
And then you are good to go

are you monitoring your temps?
If yes let me know what you are having in temp reading

one more thing, trfc0 is the setting that i was talking about (my mistake)

search for trfc0 in bios's ram timings because cpu tweaker does not help in this setting (helps in change but not in overclock)

boston617b

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
@truegenius
I tried the uncore multiplier with no luck. I still get the bios boot fail screen. My temps without overclocking is around 37 C. And with it is around 43 C. And I dont really have a tRFC0 timing in my BIOS. All I have is tRFC with the options of auto, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4. But seriously, what is this boot fail screen i get during post bios check? And sometimes my computer freezes when adjusting within cputweaker. Meaning, when I adjust in cputweaker and then adjust in BIOS, and then get the boot fail screen, and then I load defaults in BIOS and try to start up, after start up it freezes 30 seconds after desktop loads up. Then I have to restart and boot in safe mode to disable startup cputweaker running msconfig. I feel like giving up on this system, but the pc geekiness in me is hoping for something to help cuz I cant afford any new pc parts.

boston617b

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Also,getting past 240 fsb would involve up cpu voltage right? well I had it on 1.40 and my temps was like 46 C. Well I looks at the specs for my cpu and it says "Thermal Design Power 125 W and Thermal Specification 61 °C. Should I assume that my cpu handles up to 61 C or most likely 55 C before overheating?

truegenius

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011

Thermal Specification 61 °C
that mean temps above 61'c is overheating (officially overheating, that could do some damage)

you should assume 55'c as a limit, and 60'c as a dead end

i think you can not go over 3ghz (because of the tdp limitation of the board)
a phenom x4 9850 will consume 150w when overclocked to 3000mhz @ 1.2v (stock volt)

on what speed, timings and voltages are you at now (when overclocked)

truegenius

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011

that is due to cputweaker attempts some settings to apply dynamically, and software overclocking is less stable than that of bios overclocking, and freezing means you are over doing :)

also do not use startup of cputweaker that is uncheck this option 'save these timings and apply at next boot of windows' :non:

can you post tour all stock settings and what settings you are using

boston617b

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

I dont know if I posted the pic right so let me know if I did. So I put a pic of cputweaker, cpu-z with 3 screens, the cpu, memory, and SPD. This is at all stock settings. And please tell me what the fail boot in Bios is when overclocking, I tried to do research and I think I came across it being a fail for the CMOS settings or something, is that a stability issue?

boston617b

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
OCStock.jpg
[/img]

@truegenius
I hope this was done right

what do you mean "make 2-3 restarts to use other one."?
So what if I fully tweaked through cputweaker, would that be more stable? I know doing it through BIOS is always best but as I said before my tRFC is different from what you talk about. This is my stock bios settings and the tRFC options I have in my BIOS.
Stock.jpg
[/img]

truegenius

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
1st use bios to change these settings
ram timings
cl 6
trcd 6
trp 6
tras 18
trc 26
ddr2 voltage 2.20v
memory clock 667mhz
save and reboot

2nd use
nvidia ntune to set ht at x1
apply and close

3rd now use cputweaker and run it to change these settings
uncore multiplier x8
cpu multiplier at x12 (in cores section)
cores and uncore voltage 1.35v
apply and close

4th use nvidia ntune
set fsb at 240
ht at x5
apply and close

thats all

and perform some stability tests (prime 95 small ftt)
do a restart after every stability test
and find max clocks under 60'c , and at 1.35 v max

note you will have to do step 2,3 and 4 every time you restart

Status
Not open for further replies.