conman765

Honorable
Feb 12, 2012
Hi

i cant unlock the 3rd and 4th core on my AMD Phenom II X2 565 CPU at 3.40 ghz.
my motherboard is an asus M4A88T-M, with a core unlocker. and whenever it boots up it says press 4 to activate core unlocker, and whenever i press it windows fails to boot up. i was just wondering why this is happening. my psu is 430w if that helps.

any help would be appreciated
thanks. :bounce: :bounce:

Solution
If there are 4 cores, 3 of them should read "enable" and one should read "disable" or something like that.

If there is only one bad core, your computer should boot when the bad one is disabled. (after you figure out which one is the bad one with some trial and error)

If you have two bad cores, then your computer will only work with those two cores disables, and your chip probably came from the factory with all the cores you can use. (2)

conman765

Honorable
Feb 12, 2012

yes if i go into the bios the options for advanced clock configuration are: disabled, auto, per core, and all cores

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
If all 4 cores show up in the bios, try to boot with only three of them enabled.

If you are lucky, you will only have one bad core instead of two.

Hopefully you have a way to identify the two that you already know are working and then just try to add a third core.

conman765

Honorable
Feb 12, 2012

ok i will try but how do you know that they are defective though?

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
If your computer won't boot with all four cores active, there's a pretty good chance at least one of them is unstable. (maybe two)

Since your computer boots fine in stock, 2-core mode, then those two cores are good. (Or good enough to get the job of booting the computer up done anyway.)

conman765

Honorable
Feb 12, 2012

ok but what would i press in the bios just to use 3 cores?

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
If there are 4 cores, 3 of them should read "enable" and one should read "disable" or something like that.

If there is only one bad core, your computer should boot when the bad one is disabled. (after you figure out which one is the bad one with some trial and error)

If you have two bad cores, then your computer will only work with those two cores disables, and your chip probably came from the factory with all the cores you can use. (2)

Solution

conman765

Honorable
Feb 12, 2012

i got it to work and i think i found the problem lol i had unleashing mode on which you have to have on, but it had 5th and 6th enabled so i turned them off and it worked idk if it was a coinsedence or what lol but thanks for your help!