How to fix android.process.media error on Galaxy S5, along with no media sound?

Dec 10, 2018
My grandma's phone suddenly stopped playing sound. I know it's not a hardware issue because ringtones and notification sounds work fine, it's just call and media that doesn't work. I've tried resetting app preferences, multiple restarts, and wiping cache partition and nothing.

Weirdly enough, I restarted it once and the sound (tested with YouTube video) started working again but it stopped shortly after.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

UPDATE: Looks like there might be something actually stuck in the headphone jack! After a factory reset like the answer suggested, I had a symbol at the top suggesting that I had headphones plugged in, even though that wasn't the case.

Solution
It could be a virus, malware, bad app, etc.

Make sure her phone is fully updated. Then try turning on the phone in "Safe Mode". Test sounds in there. Now you will have limited access in that mode, but if it all works, then there is definitely something on the device that is the cause. Then you can locate the cause and remove it. Or, if unable to find, you can "Hard Reset" the phone (just make sure you back up ALL personal stuff to a computer or something else off of the phone first) and then once the phone has been reset you can put all the personal stuff back on it.
It could be a virus, malware, bad app, etc.

Make sure her phone is fully updated. Then try turning on the phone in "Safe Mode". Test sounds in there. Now you will have limited access in that mode, but if it all works, then there is definitely something on the device that is the cause. Then you can locate the cause and remove it. Or, if unable to find, you can "Hard Reset" the phone (just make sure you back up ALL personal stuff to a computer or something else off of the phone first) and then once the phone has been reset you can put all the personal stuff back on it.

Solution