Solved! SanDisk 32GB SD Card issues

Nov 18, 2018
OK, to do a bit of scene setting for the techies here:

I am using a SanDisk 32GB SD card for my LG K8 2017 phone, which I bought when I upgraded my contract with EE in May this year.

It was saving photos to the SD card no bother at all. That was until today. Basically, whilst I had Spotify up on my phone it froze, and I had to restart the phone, but even the restart froze and I had to temporarily remove the battery and put it back in. The freeze glitch fixed, my phone was back to normal (or so I believed), no bother, thought nothing more of it.

That was until I came to try and take a photo on my phone about two hours ago, and it threw up a message saying 'Cannot save'. I switched the storage option to 'Internal storage', and it took and saved it no bother. Likewise, when I went into the Gallery app on my phone, and tried to move some photos onto the SD card, it threw up the message 'Cannot move this file'. I should point out that I am able to view existing photos that are on my SD card.

I have also tried to fix possible corruption on my SD card by plugging it into my laptop (a HP Stream Windows 10, in case you're wondering) and doing 'D:/ Properties / Tools / Repair Disk', but to no joy there either.

I don't know if the battery removal is what caused this SD card to go a bit funny but I really don't wanna be running out of internal storage space if I can avoid it, and I also don't wanna lose the photos I've got on the SD card as some of those I have no way of being able to get back. Please help me!

Solution
I would suggest you back up all the photos you have from the SD card to a cloud account, google account, computer, etc. and make sure they are actually on the new location, before you delete them from the card. Once they are moved/saved and the card is empty, try removing the card from your phone, restart the phone and reinsert the card. See if it can then read it. If it can, great, however I would not just put the files back on the card. At least leave a copy of them in the prior saved location so they wouldn't be lost if the card goes bad. I would not save anything further to the card as well, at least not until you can be sure there will be no further issue.

Now, were it me, I would just say it isn't worth the risk, back it all up...
I would suggest you back up all the photos you have from the SD card to a cloud account, google account, computer, etc. and make sure they are actually on the new location, before you delete them from the card. Once they are moved/saved and the card is empty, try removing the card from your phone, restart the phone and reinsert the card. See if it can then read it. If it can, great, however I would not just put the files back on the card. At least leave a copy of them in the prior saved location so they wouldn't be lost if the card goes bad. I would not save anything further to the card as well, at least not until you can be sure there will be no further issue.

Now, were it me, I would just say it isn't worth the risk, back it all up, confirm the backup and then replace the card with a new one.

Solution