Success with flashing XFX 695X 2gb CNFC?

mulberry

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
I have read that some can unlock this card, others can't. I am seeing scattered result with this card, some people have been able to successfully oc all necessary components.

wolfram23

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Generally it's always been hit or miss on these cards. There's 2 things that happen with the unlock. One is unlocking more cores in the GPU, and the second is it changes the clocks, both the GPU core and memory clocks, as well as memory timing (supposedly).

This means that first off, the disabled cores might be unstable. So there's no way of knowing if unlocking them will work at all. Secondly, the VRAM might not like the faster speeds at all, so even if the core unlock is successful it might still crash and burn.

There are ways to unlock only the cores, I believe I read about it at Techpowerup.com.

As for overclocking, it's kind of in a similar boat. I'd suggest you read some overclocking guides, you can find many here at Tom's or do a Google search.

Please note that you can seriously screw your card up by flashing the BIOS and/or overclocking, so it's definitely a risk.

mulberry

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
I don't mean by that much, just overclocking a little more than AMD overdrive allows. I believe trixx or afterburner allow that but I have never used it. extremeoverclocking has a nice guide but no one posted with this specific card so i was seeing if anyone had luck before I tried.

amuffin

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
It's more of a 75% chance that it fails and a 25% chance that it unlocks. It it fails, you're card is bricked. Plus, you have to look at the PCB revisions to make sure you have the right card.

mulberry

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

i'm not understanding. do i need to unlock before I overclock with something like afterburner? because i'm pretty sure you don't need to, you just need to change a few settings in the cfg files. if this specific card cant be flashed to a 6970 that's fine, I would however like oc it a little more than what amd overdrive offers.

mulberry

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

So far, a very informative read for beginners..thanks! Question for you though, you said, " is probably the best all around program, and the only reason not to use it is if you have non-reference, non-MSI cards and want to adjust the voltage." My xfx card is obviously non-msi and also non-reference. what would you do in my case? not adjust the voltage? keep it simple and just use afterburner?

wolfram23

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
A quick google search later, it looks like your card is actually a reference model.

However, voltage adjustment is where you start to break things, so I wouldn't go there until I was very familiar with what I'm doing, if I were you. Just stick to speed adjustments for now, IMO, no voltage.

mulberry

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

The 695X CNFC is different from the ZDFC or CNFD.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150530

This isn't a reference card, at least a few other forums said this card was not a reference. Correct me if I am wrong??
edit: it also doesnt have a bios switch.

wolfram23

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
This is where I read that:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691036

However, yeah, the reference model should have a BIOS switch. If it doesn't, then that's another reason to not flash the BIOS with the 6970 BIOS - it could definitely brick your card. If you have a backup GPU you can do it, the problem with bricking is mostly that you can't see your monitor anymore. With a 2nd GPU you can use it as primary and get into Windows to reflash.

Still, you're obviously new to this and I would suggest taking your time and just try basic overclocking for now. You definitely don't want to break your GPU.

mulberry

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

what basic overclocking do you suggest? afterburner? do you think you can help me?

wolfram23

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Afterburner is a good place to start. Just follow the instructions in my guide. Make a change, test, repeat until artifacts/crashes/errors, then reduce clocks back to something stable.