No audio from TCL Roku TV through Yamaha receiver

Sep 30, 2018
I have a new TCL 55" 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V483 receiver, and Klipsh 14M speakers. I hooked up an optical cable from the TV to the receiver, set the input to Audio 1 on the Yamaha which is the optical jack, but I'm getting nothing through the speakers.

I have an Amazon Fire stick on HDMI 1 on the TV (not ARC), which is how I access my TV content.

I tried setting the audio to PCM, D, and D+ on the TV, tried disabling the TV speakers ... and still nothing. I just want to use optical for the sound and not ARC, at least for now. Any ideas??

boju

Distinguished
Seems like it's a limitation of the TV, can't have HDMI arc in use on the TV.

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=110617

Thanks to those who responded. I’d tried all the things you suggested before I posted. I figured out the issue. You can’t have anything plugged in the HDMI ARC port when you want to use the digital optical cable (why is this not in the manual or suggested when I called TCL?). Once I removed the device from that HDMI port, it worked

Edit: Thats if you have anything connected to ARC port at all

The default input for the optical connection on the receiver seems to be TV (as marked on the back panel). Check the input set up menu to make sure that you are selecting the correct input on the receiver. Check the audio settings on the Firestick too.
Other options would be to connect the Firestick to the receiver not the TV or try using ARC instead of the optical connection.

TRENDING THREADS