iPhone XS and XS Max Battery Life: The Results Are In

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
Hi @thesteves. Thanks for the question. We tested the Note 9 at its default screen resolution.

Sep 25, 2018
This result is totally different from some battery test I have watched on YouTube, which show that the battery life of iPhone XS MAX is equal to Note 9 when Note 9 resolution is set to FullHD+, and longer in 2K

Sep 25, 2018
which ios was the iphone x test run with? can you re-run the test on the iphone x on ios 12 for a true apples to apples comparison?

there are not enough details on how the test was conducted. was the iphone xs able to view more pages in the test than the iphone x due to its A12 chip?

varase

Honorable
Oct 29, 2016
If you're just looping through a browser, loading a new page when the last page completes rendering, you could be punishing faster phones in your testing methodology.

Say phone A is twice as fast as phone B.

If you're just looping as stated above, phone A is putting in twice the work of phone B per hour, which of course will use more resources.

Web page loading is a variable resource task - the faster the phone, the higher the rate of resource utilization - unlike playing a video, which uses the same resources for both phone A and phone B (provided both phones are capable of playing the video).

If phone A taks 20 seconds max to load a page and phone B takes 40 seconds, the only fair way to compare battery life would be to request a new page every 40 seconds - but in real world usage even that is fallacious.

In the real world, a user might browse a dozen pages, consume content, and put his/her phone back to sleep.

Some pages would begin to load and the user might hit a link without waiting for the page to completely load; for other pages, the user might find something of interest and the phone would load the page and simply idle as the user consumed the content at human speed.

So, what's the trigger you use to load the next page? A realtime wait, or a continuous loop?

Oct 31, 2018
IOS 12 and 12.0.1 has really sucked my Iphone 6S phone and its battery. The upgrade has also resulted in my iphone 6S Charging port n Battery damage. I had to spend huge amount of money to get this fixed. Apple is intentionally provoking customers to upgrade to their new phones and their prices are unrealistic. I believe this is very much intentional game. Apple, instead focus on giving better battery life not on your papers n claims. Instead, focus on giving better battery life on all devices and compare your battery life with Android small players. I believe you will loose your bet.

varase

Honorable
Oct 29, 2016

I think you have to come to the realization that nothing lasts forever, and your battery is definitely one of those things. You can still get this fixed for $30 until the end of the year.

As for iOS 12 damaging your charging port: it's software - it doesn't break charging ports.

So ... what happened to your phone, and what did they do to fix it, and at what cost?

varase

Honorable
Oct 29, 2016

P.S. Have you tried to use a toothpick to dig lint out of the lightning port?

That's a pretty common reason iPhone's won't charge.

The standard Android mitigation of a worn-out battery is simply to let the handset die. There is no value to an old customer in the Android world, and the only time anyone makes any money is with a new handset sale - so there is no mitigation attempt.