Rejoice! Apple May Be Dropping Its Lightning Port

Status
Not open for further replies.

oufan08

Estimable
Sep 2, 2018
Rubbish article. They aren't ditching lighting, I actually prefer lighting over usb-c, there are actually issues with USB-C. All my usb-c ports on my laptop are loose and cords fall out. You can easily buy cheap and durable lighting cables as well.

davidb23a

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
Apple is not going to stop abusing its customers for profit now. Apple's proprietary overpriced ports and cables is what makes them the most money. Best Buy recently admitted their most profitable product is apple dongles and proprietary cables.

I cant believe apple would stop this greedy practice now by actually adopting an industry standard.

Sep 11, 2018
Total bull. The mini USB ports on my Samsung tablet constantly have issues resulting in slow charging and bad and loose connection. My iPhone with a lightning port has ZERO problems. ZERO. I will take lightning every time, as it is simply a better design.

Get a clue - Good products cost a bit more.

Sep 11, 2018
Rejoice? More like cry! The mini USB ports I have are nothing but problems - slow charging, bad connections, etc.

ZERO problems with Lightning. ZERO.

Apple, stay with what works. Lightning is simply a better, more durable design.

Sep 11, 2018
When the lightning adaptor came out usb mini and usb micro were jokes. They are hard to plug in and the voltages and specs from cable to cable are sad. Lightning also is swappable so that you can plug it in in the dark and not mess your iphone up. Finally Lightning supports HDMI and many other protocols and has a higher transfer rate than usb. Guess who pioneered USBc, Apple they helped develop and worked with intel to make it a standard. At that time it was called lightpeak, but the industry did not adopt it fast enough and apple had to go with lightning. Now that USBc is common Apple will most likely adopt it across all of their devices in the next cycle. If you actually look at the specs of lightning you will see that it is far superior to USB and has many other uses than charging your phone, at the time of the adoption it was superior to USB in every metric. As far as MFi this was an attempt to force quality control so people would know that the cable they bought would work. Apple doesn't throw a bunch of crap together and market a clunky product, they market user experience, consistency and reliability. I have never had a problem with lightning cables, but then I don't abuse mine, my daughter breaks them all the time but that is because she manages to twist, knot and mangle her cables in ways i didn't think possible, so if your a [edited], then lightning is unreliable.

Sep 11, 2018
EADINT - Apple helped pioneer USB-C along with Intel, MS, Google, Dell, Samsung, and about 700 other companies (USB Standard). I wonder if the industry would have adapted it faster if one of the major companies (Apple) would have put it in their phones/tablets instead of just creating another cable? The specs of lightning cable are actually not available from Apple, as they are proprietary, however 3rd parties have been able to divulge most of the information. Lightning cables have only been shown to handle up to 12W of power, USB-C can handle up to 100W (20V/5A charge speed), which makes charging a laptop available as opposed to even considering doing that with the lightning cable. USB-C is also superior in data transmission with 10Gbps vs 480Mbps (lightning cable).
MFi was definitely not a means to attempt quality control, it was blatantly a way to force purchasing through their own ecosystem, if they were truly worried about quality they would have added cable strain relief (cable gland) at the connection point like every other cable....ever....since the 50's, but they were more worried about aesthetics than function.

Status
Not open for further replies.