Status
Not open for further replies.

Mudit Sathe

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Hi Guys.Currently I have Athlon II X4 620 processor on ASUS M2N68-AM PLUS motherboard. How can I unlock Athlon's L3 cache?

Solution
Thanks for the feedback =)

@ mudit, you can only try if you have the right motherboard, your board has an nvidia chipset so dont even try it. You will need a board with an SB710 or SB750 in order to unlock.

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Well, some of them I've been suspecting they deactivated it because of the TLB bug back in '07. Even if you unlock it, you'll experience some problems you probably don't want to experience.

reincus

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
OverClkr, that is my understanding as well. Athlon is a completely seperate manufacturing process. The chips are much easier (and cheaper) to make, hence their pricing point.

It's not inconceivable that AMD is also marketing it's Phenom chips with defects in the L3 cache as Athlons with locked cache, however. It's helps to keep the yields up.

OvrClkr

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Personally if AMD states there is no L3 whatsoever on the 620 and 630 then I don't understand why some are able to unlock the L3. I will have to do more researching to find out whats true and whats not....

Dominator2

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
Overclkr and Xaira are right about the no L3 cache on the AMD X4 620 The chips don't have any L3 cache from the factory. What people are getting confused about is the first batch of chips released for sale included deneb chips with L3 6mb cache left on or disabled. I think now it would be pretty rare to find any of these deneb chips left. Some people believe games would suffer due to no L3 cache. Well check out the review at Http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/athlon2_620/8.htm. They show the X4 620 at 266 mhz and overclocked at 3.1. thats the first bar and last bar in the review. Now compare the last off green bar and the orange bar which is the I570. As you step though the tests. You'll find that the X4 260OC held its own in game benchmarks. The only tests were the numbers are lower were synthetic benchmarks and 3DMark06. Personally I think that alot of tests favor Intel and thats why AMD scores so low. If you already have DDR3 ram you can score a killer CPU and motherboard for around $200 Thats pretty much what I paid for my Q6600
CPU. I am seriously thinking about going back to AMD. I'm tired of Intel putting out all these new chips which require new motherboards to use them. Also some members using a motherboard with ACC in the bios report being able to turn on the L3 cache. If this is true its only because they got lucky and received one of the deneb chips with the L3 cache. You cannot turn an L3 cache if there is none. Comments are welcome.

OvrClkr

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Thanks for the feedback =)

@ mudit, you can only try if you have the right motherboard, your board has an nvidia chipset so dont even try it. You will need a board with an SB710 or SB750 in order to unlock.

Solution
G

Hi Guys.Currently I have Athlon II X4 620 processor on MSi 785g- e53 motherboard. How can I unlock Athlon's L3 cache?

FALC0N

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

My understanding is that Nvida chipsets have this functionality as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.