Unable to Boot from Device (Windows 10)

Aug 17, 2018
So first, I'm new to this forum so I'm probably putting this in the wrong category, but I don't see any that quite fit my problem. So if someone could direct me to the correct category as well as answer my question that would be great.

So onto my issue. I just recently built a pc with windows 10. Now I've been trying to setup the bios from both CD rom and a USB flash drive. I'm using an Asus M5A78I-M motherboard. Not sure if that's relevant... But my main issue is that when I go into the advanced boot options on my computer I don't get the option to boot from device. It's just not there at all. All the other options I've seen around the internet on guides and videos are there. So if anyone knows why this might be happening to me it would be great. Also I have already disabled Fast Boot in the settings.

There's no other sub-forum I can move tis to in Tom's Guide. Tom's Hardware has a dedicated Windows 10 section if we can;t help you here.

Go back into BIOS and select default settings because it's not wise to change a BIOS setup on a new build.

In fifteen years of fixing PCs, I've yet to see a BIOS that doesn't have an option to boot from anything other than the hard disk so it's not finding anything that's actually bootable to offer you..

Are you sure the CD ROM is connected to one of the SATA connections? Also, how did you make the USB drive bootable?

Aug 17, 2018

Yes I'm quite sure the CD ROM is connected. It's how I installed the Windows 10 OEM onto the computer to start with. Now here's another issue. I can't access the BIOS at all. When I first start my computer I get to a splash screen that shows the name of the Motherboard as well as the brand. And on that screen it gives me four options of buttons I can push to do things. So pressing DEL is suppose to start my BIOS setup. TAB is suppose to display the BIOS post message. Alt+F2 is does something called EZ Flash 2 I believe. And finally F8 is suppose to take me to the boot menu. Now I've attempted spamming each button as soon as the computer turns on, but to no avail. After having used a writable CD and burning the BIOS update to it, I tried pressing DEL to setup the BIOS. All the did was start Windows 10 automatic repair. It then Diagnosed the issue and sent me to the Advanced boot options. From there that was when I realized there was no option to boot from device. Now onto the question about the USB. I don't remember how I made it bootable. It was years ago that I had formatted it to be bootable so that could be part of the issue. Back to the CD ROM. I've looked around the internet and have actually found out that Windows 10 itself is the one causing the issue of the CD ROM not working. For some reason when going into Device Manager I am unable to even see the CD ROM I click the button to show hidden devices. Now I'll open the case again just to make sure all the cords are still plugged in. Also I'll go ahead and copy what I've put here and send it over to Tom's Hardware to see if anyone could help there at the same time.