Why Installing Fortnite on Android Will Be a Security Nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickebrenner

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018
Wow. That's just...wow. Really, EPIC, greed over security?

Also wow, is, 30%...really Google? 30%? That's ridiculous.

Why is there not a program that does percentages based off of volume. I can see where 30% might be okay for an entry level that Google supports in their ecosystem, but something with the volume that would be Fortnite or your Clash of Clans type magnitude, I imagine they should be able to drop off sharply as volume quickly picked up.

franki.hauptle

Prominent
Nov 1, 2017
Apple charges 30% too. Google created the operating system including the app store and spends a ton of money on the ecosystem. I dislike the 30 too.. But don't single Google out.. They all suck in this regard.

Aug 3, 2018
I think one of the items that almost makes this point about side-loading apps a little bit like the "Fake News" is that almost every phone that is able to run the Fortnite App is already on Android Oreo which as we all know allows which does not require a user to allow side-loaded apps. When an APK is downloaded the system then asks the user if they would like to allow the APK to open. This would apply to items such as the Fortnite APK as will as any malicious APK downloaded unknowingly by the user. The system is still going to require the user to grant permission prior to running any APK. If I am understanding correctly even if Fortnite did push down updates automatically Android Oreo or higher attempts to launch APK the stops for user permission prior to executing.

I cannot speak to the fees charged by either vendor but as far as this being a large security risk I take exception to the author of this article framing it as large security risk since side-loading is no longer either off or on. It is always on but requires user intervention to execute the APK. Side-loading not the risk users not reading the permissions message before clicking to allow is the risk.

May 26, 2018
Sideloading is not much more dangerous than doing it on a Linux or Windows-based PC. (Probably Apple, too.)
One can simply turn on or off that feature as needed. Windows, and DOS before that did not require one to go through the Microsoft Play Store. Smart users would run an anti-virus/malware protection module which they should probably do now anyway. Avast and other manufacturers make some good security software to protect your mobile device.

In conclusion, I think hyping up the supposed security dangers of side-loaded apps is ridiculous and unnecessary. Encouraging safe practices like we do on PC's would be plausible instead of ringing the alarm bell and possibly harming the business of the creators of Fortnite and similar games. Bad move on the editors and authors of Tom's guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.