Pictures in Gallery from camera become 0xff 0xff files and wont open?

Jul 28, 2018
Just recently when I take a picture on my LG Fortune, you can see the images initially. When you go back later the images cannot be opened. The extension is .jpg but when you try to open it it states that it is an 0xff 0xff and cannot open it?

Are the photos being kept on the phone or on a SD card? I ask because I have not run into this error happening on files kept on a phone's internal storage, but I have when kept on a SD card. It usually occurs when the card is the wrong type for the device, or the card is having trouble.

The only fixes I know of would be to move the files to a computer and use a photo recovery software (there are a few out there) to try and recover the images.

If this is happening on the phone itself, then I would still suggest the above for getting the photos back, but I would also start to wonder what is wrong with the phone. Perhaps a virus or malware that is causing the issue? That I can't say for certain, but is not something, again, I have seen happen with the phone's storage before, only on cards.

Jul 28, 2018
You could be right. My friend took out the SD Card and took a picture of himself and it is still there. The others were on the SD card. I will try the photo recovery software as you mentioned. Thank you so much!

Another issue is that, around the same time, I had the gallery open and pictures, mostly from games, started populating my gallery at a rapid rate. I also am getting notifications that "your pictures are ready". I finally opened the notification once and it was something called Luck Photo with pictures of not only women (with clothes on) but there was also a picture of a chimpanzee! Lol. Possibly a virus or malware as you mentioned.