Pay 130$ more for i7 and 128GB SSD?

cowtato

Estimable
Dec 24, 2015
Guys, I have a dilemma right now. I'm about to buy a laptop for College. However, I don't know if it's worth to pay 130$ extra for a core i7 and a 128 GB SSD. I will mainly use it for schoolwork papers, browsing the web and watching movies. I'll most likely also play some lightweight games like League of Legends or Stardew Valley. Some of you might consider these two laptops overkill but I really like the looks of them. Please tell me what you guys think about this. I will leave the laptops' links below. Thank you! :)

PS: This will not be my main system. I have a gaming desktop at home to do most tasks like editing and playing graphic demanding games.
Edit: I forgot to mention that budget is not that much of a problem, but I just don't want to spend more money for nothing.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834234873&ignorebbr=1
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834234872&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=asus_vivobook-_-34-234-872-_-Product

jojesa

Distinguished

You won't notice the performance difference between Core i5 and Core i7 on that laptop, but definitely you should go a SSD.
If you get the one with 1TB HDD you could add a M.2 drive.
Hey I just found the Core i7 version @ Abt for $150 less

cowtato

Estimable
Dec 24, 2015

May I ask how come I won't feel the difference between the i5 and i7? And also I agree that a SSD will certainly be great! By the way, I live in Canada so the link you just provided for me is much more expensive hahaha xD but I appreciate the thought! Thanks! :D

jojesa

Distinguished
Sorry about that, didn't see it was CAD dollars.

You won't see a difference for the tasks (for schoolwork papers, browsing the web and watching movies. I'll most likely also play some lightweight games) you mentioned, since the CPU won't be taxed.
If you had said video editing or mathematical calculations then the i7 will be the choice.