Virus or malware?

Jun 28, 2018
My Samsung Internet page has ironically been taken over by a suspicious enticement to prevent unwanted content. First the screen says Samsung Internet, Version whatever it is, immediately followed by another screen that says Content Blocker with a cutesy drawing of sinister looking viruses and text about how I can prevent unwanted content by pressing the Start button (which I don't dare to do).

It takes up the whole screen so I can't just X out of it.

I tried shutting the power off and restarting but that didn't help and I downloaded a couple of antivirus apps but they didn't detect anything amiss.

Any ideas or help, anyone?

Solution
Sounds like something is installed on the device. Doesn't have to be a virus. Can be malware or even a bad app. Both of which will not show up in a search for viruses. Try starting up in "Safe Mode" and see if it occurs. Granted you will have limited access in that mode, but if there are no problems, then you know there is something on the device you need to remove. I would then suggest searching more in depth for all three mentioned above (including researching the device for viruses). You may want to even do it through a connection to a computer to get a more in depth search done.

To get into "Safe Mode" please do the following.

1. First turn off the tablet.

2. Next press and hold "Power" until you see the manufacturers logo on...
Sounds like something is installed on the device. Doesn't have to be a virus. Can be malware or even a bad app. Both of which will not show up in a search for viruses. Try starting up in "Safe Mode" and see if it occurs. Granted you will have limited access in that mode, but if there are no problems, then you know there is something on the device you need to remove. I would then suggest searching more in depth for all three mentioned above (including researching the device for viruses). You may want to even do it through a connection to a computer to get a more in depth search done.

To get into "Safe Mode" please do the following.

1. First turn off the tablet.

2. Next press and hold "Power" until you see the manufacturers logo on the screen, then release the power button.

3. "Quickly" press "Volume Down" and hold it for few seconds until you see the message "Safe mode: ON" or something similar.

4. If you wanted disable it, simply repeat the steps above, and you should see "Safe Mode: OFF" rather than on.

Solution