Jun 22, 2018
If I get a new Amazon tablet, do I have to also add the tablet to my phone/internet connection or will it work to simply download books from my android phone?
I'm not real tech savvy, but maybe if I use a cord to connect the two I wouldn't need to pay extra to add it to my phone bill?

Solution
Yes and No.

You will need an internet connection. Unless the tablet you purchase also allows for a SIM which then you can get yourself a data plan from a provider in your area. But that would be an additional cost.

The simpler way would be to make sure that you have access to either WiFi that you can connect the tablet to, or a smartphone with an account that will allow you to use it as a 'hotspot'. One of these will be needed. Instructions on how to set up a phone as a hotspot are below.

If it is at all possible it would be done this way...

1. Go into "Settings" and in the "Wireless & networks" section tap "More".
2. Now tap "Tethering & portable hotspot".
3. For "Wireless Tethering" tap "Set up WiFi hotspot"
4. On this new screen...
Yes and No.

You will need an internet connection. Unless the tablet you purchase also allows for a SIM which then you can get yourself a data plan from a provider in your area. But that would be an additional cost.

The simpler way would be to make sure that you have access to either WiFi that you can connect the tablet to, or a smartphone with an account that will allow you to use it as a 'hotspot'. One of these will be needed. Instructions on how to set up a phone as a hotspot are below.

If it is at all possible it would be done this way...

1. Go into "Settings" and in the "Wireless & networks" section tap "More".
2. Now tap "Tethering & portable hotspot".
3. For "Wireless Tethering" tap "Set up WiFi hotspot"
4. On this new screen you will see options for a "Network Name", "Security", "Password" and "Network Band". You can change them or keep them as is. It is really up to you.
5. Now you would just need to search for the hotspot by name using the second device.

NOTE: While a WiFi hotspot feature is built into Android, some service providers/carriers, especially in the United States, hide it. You would then need to see if you can locate an app that you can install to help with this.

Solution