Laptop specs vs PC Specs

duomaxwell007

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016
Im gonna post some specs... one is for laptop the other is for PC. and I wanna know which of the two is better (most likely gonna be PC), how MUCH better it is than the other, and is the gap in performance (i,e being better) high enough to warrant paying an additional $800 (it would be $600 but the shipping is nearly 200 on the desktop whereas laptop shipping is free( for. (i.e "The PC is better but that "better" is only good enough for a $200 extra investment its not good enough to justify spending an additional $800" is the kinda answer Im looking for in that third part):

Desktop:

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GDDR5X
MSI X299 Raider(Intel X299 Chipset) (ATX Form Factor, 8 DIMMS, 5 PCIe Slots + 2 M.2 SSD Slots)
Intel® Core™ X-series Skylake i7-7800X ( 8.25M Cache, 3.50 GHz - 4.00 GHz, 6 core | 12 Thread ) Processor
EVGA 600W Power Supply Unit
32GB DDR4 2666MHz (4x8GB) G.SKILL RipJaws V Quad Channel
2x 2TB SSHD Seagate FireCuda Gaming Hybrid Drive
ASUS PCE-AC68 Dual-band PCI-E Wireless-AC1900 Wireless Adapter
USB Bluetooth Adapter

and misellaneous coolings stuff like:
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste- GPU & CPU
Closed Loop ICE Cooling System for CPU [360mm Radiator]
Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (11 Fans)
Noise Suppression Package (Stage 2) (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds with Noise Reduction Material)

(which would those specs really require that level or cooling or is that overdoing it?)

Laptop:

17.3" Full HD 144Hz, Wide View Angle 72% NTSC Matte Display with G-SYNC Technology (1920 x 1080) (which doesn t really matter because itll be hooked to my 43'' 4k hdtv screen being use like a desktop 80% of the time)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 GPU with 8GB GDDR5X Video Memory
Limited Edition Intel® Core™ i7-8086K Processor ( 6 Cores, 12MB Smart Cache, 4.00GHz Base / 5.00GHz Max )
32GB Dual Channel DDR4 SDRAM at 3000MHz - 2 X 16GB
2x 2TB FireCuda SSHD Drive
Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 9260 M.2 AC Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Module
USB Bluetooth Adapter

Cooling:

Notebook Cooler
IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
Extra Cooling Copper Heatsinks Applied to the Heatsink/Heatpipes

So basically performance/speed/gaming wise which is better, how MUCH better is it than the other (20%, 30% etc etc), and is that extra performance from the better one high/good enough to justify an extra $800 (if not how much extra SHOULD it cost) or is the difference so incremental that the laptop would be a better choice because the difference is so small that the lower priced item would be the better bet?

dshort01

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I have worked with laptops extensively for years as well as PC's. I have always found laptops to be inferior in performance compared to desktops. The primary reason is they are always prone to heat and power consumption restraints which consumes battery life. By definition, laptops are "portable" products while desktops are not and therefore not limited to same restrictions applied to laptops. Therefore, desktops have the performance advantage is all aspects. Just my years of observations. I have a laptop which serves specific purposes and my desktop which serves other purposes as well as my NAS. Bottom line, what are your needs?

duomaxwell007

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016

Yes we ALL know desktops are better than laptops (I said as much in my first post) however that doesnt really answer my question. Id primarily use it for gaming. I also know about heating (which is why Im taking the extra cooling precautions) Ive had a (then) top of the line laptop in 2013 but its starting to show its age now (i.e a game it could run on max settings just fine on day one... its struggling to run that SAME game on max settings now (i guess the system requirements increased over updates?) I mean the fan gets so loud now and the GPU temp literally goes up 1 degree every second so I cut the game off before it gets too high.

Now since my laptop will be being used as a desktop primarily itll be plugged in 99% of the time (and yes from personal experience I know that doing that kills the battery to the point that the machine will b practically unusable for more than 30 mins if its not plugged in.. but considering I dont go anywhere that doesnt have an electrical outlet thats not really a problem). Lastly for the few times I DO have an extended stay somewhere that isnt at home Id prefer to have the option to bring my laptop with me (i.e if im at a hotel why watch their cable when I have a plethora of things on my HDD I can watch) lugging a desktop around isnt all that great. But Id choose the desktop if someone tells me that based on the specs its a exponential difference between those laptop specs and that difference its worth the extra $800

Jun 22, 2018

Are you sure your old laptop isn't overheating? I can't imagine other scenario on why it decreased it's performance.
It sounds like it needs to be cleaned, dust must be covering the heatsink.

In your case, I don't think you need another laptop, just try to maintain it and make it last a couple of years more.

duomaxwell007

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016

It did at one point and the fans would get loud.. I removed the thermal paste and replaced the fans. it doesnt overheat now (or it least I dont give a chance too) and the fans are no longer loud.. wen it was overheating the fans would get loud even when i wasnt gaming and just surfing the web.. now the fans only get loud during gaming since I replaced them and reapplied paste.. but I dont game very long on it cause Im not sure the temps should be going up literally 1 degree a second