I need help with my stupid brand new ZTE blade zMAX phone. Internal memory an SD card I have no more internal memory. Please h

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 13, 2018
oh my goodness I am ready to throw my phone out the window or drive over it or something! I'm ready to freak out I just purchased the ZTE blade zMAX and I've always had an LG phone. It's running at I believe 7.1.1 if that's correct? I cannot believe that I have no internal storage I just got this phone. And I barely downloaded anything on it and it's running out of space already I can't even upload photos on Facebook it keeps giving me that message unable to do whatever you're asking whatever memory is low and I'm freaking out I have an 8 gigabyte SD card and it's a 32 GB internal memory. Now I took it back to the store and this gentleman is trying to tell me that he fixed it and he didn't. Please help. What I'm trying to do is put everything possible onto the SD card. But it doesn't seem to be letting me do that I keep hearing about starting with a brand new SD card I don't have one but I'm not too worried about if it the old one gets wiped out I mean really to be honest I don't even remember what's on that SD card I've had it for so long. And yes I transferred it from phone to phone but I've always had an LG and I've never had this problem before and I'm just fed up. I told him I wanted the LG Stylo 3 and instead he sold me this piece of crap. I'll tell you I like that phone better than this one and I can't believe I spent half the money on that one that I did on this $200 phone it's ridiculous!!! I'm stressed out please help me!?!?!?!!!

Solution
The fact that it has 32GB and you are saying it is full, makes me wonder what all is on the phone. The OS and pre-installed apps, while they take up space, should not take up all that. So my first suggestion would be to uninstall any apps you aren't going to be using and don't want. If they turn out to be apps that it won't let you uninstall, try disabling them instead. Both of these can be done in the "Settings" then "Apps" go to the "All" tab and scroll through the apps. DO NOT delete anything you don't know for sure if it is needed or not or don't know what it is, without looking up what it is first. Otherwise you could cause problems and make the phone not work. Once done, then restart (turn off and back on) the phone and see if it...
The fact that it has 32GB and you are saying it is full, makes me wonder what all is on the phone. The OS and pre-installed apps, while they take up space, should not take up all that. So my first suggestion would be to uninstall any apps you aren't going to be using and don't want. If they turn out to be apps that it won't let you uninstall, try disabling them instead. Both of these can be done in the "Settings" then "Apps" go to the "All" tab and scroll through the apps. DO NOT delete anything you don't know for sure if it is needed or not or don't know what it is, without looking up what it is first. Otherwise you could cause problems and make the phone not work. Once done, then restart (turn off and back on) the phone and see if it reacts better now.

Also, should you wish to try, the following instructions are how to make the SD card "Internal" storage on a device.

First, you need to be using a phone that is running at least Android "Marshmallow" (or newer) or be able to upgrade to it. Second, you will need the instructions I am including below. And third, you need a phone that has not been restricted by the manufacturer from making this change. Which does happen.

NOTE: If any of the steps are missing on your phone, or they don't work for you, then you have a phone that either has an older Android version or has been restricted by the manufacturer. If that is the case, you will not be able to use this information.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Marshmallow" a.k.a. 6.0.

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Nougat" a.k.a. 7.0.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure you start with a blank SD card. When the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device), so anything on it prior would be gone.

1. Go to "Settings", and then select "Storage & USB".
2. At the bottom of the list you should see the SD card's details, including the option to format it and make it "Internal" storage.
3. Once this is done, reboot the device and you can start running things from the card.

If you don't reboot the phone, some things may not work correctly, so make sure you do the reboot.

Solution
May 13, 2018
Have you been taking a lot of 1080p videos with the phone? Android phones take high bit-rate HD videos that can fill up the storage pretty quickly. If you can, go into your phone's storage settings and it should give a break down what is taking up the storage on your phone. I'd also recommend getting a new sd card. 32 and even 64GB cards are very affordable now and they'll work better than the older card you're using now.

Aug 30, 2018
I have the same phone now for 6 months, just put in a 32 gb SD card and now I can't even see the original internal memory using my laptop, file manager or ES File Explorer. Even though before I put in the NEW SD card I had over 10 gb left on my internal memory. I have another ZTE A610 I bought in Asia a year ago that has better software than this Zmax I got from Metro PCS. I belive this Zmax has cheap modified software specially designed for the low end pre paid American market like Metro PCS and once you put in a SD card the software is so inferior it's incapable to display the original internal memory. But my Zmax is still working fine, I just can't see both the SD card and original internal memory via file managers or select which files to store where, but both show in the settings under storage. Bottom line I don't think there's a solution except to remove the SD card and move the files back to the original internal memory. PS: I've even downloaded several different file manager and SD card apps from playstore and nothing works, the SD card has taken over as internal memory and I cannot view or manipulate moving files between the 2 different storage locations. Bottom line I believe the Zmax is a cheap phone that works ok but don't expect it to perform like good mid range Samsung or better brand that has original Android unmodified sofware.

Status
Not open for further replies.