Looking for a smartphone for just wifi use

brian3000

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013
I'm looking to upgrade my home wifi/smartphone situation, but I'm terribly behind the times when it comes to smartphone tech.

I currently am using a Tracfone smartphone at home and around town to connect to wifi only, no cell phone service. I never activated the phone to work on the Tracfone cellular network (Alcatel model a564c). The problem is the phone is not capable of loading any apps to a smart card and it's constantly filling up (2g only); there is no hack available.

I tried upgrading to a better Tracfone (LG rebel 4glte) but after two weeks it refused to even boot up at all because the sim card wasn't being recognized (I called TF, thedy said I had to activate it, which I don't want to do, I have a cell phone). Neither of these TF phones can be rooted.

So, I'm looking for advise about what I can do. I need a phone that will not limit the number of apps that it can hold, or at least give me more than my current 2g of storage. I don't need any special features and certainly not the latest android os.

I'd try another TF but I'm pretty sure I would need to activate it with them, as with the Rebel I already tried.

I'm wondering if I can get an older phone on ebay that will just allow me to use WiFi at home and around town. I'm not interested in a tablet because they are too large for my needs.

Thanks

If you are carrying around a basic cell phone and another phone, why not just move your phone service to the smartphone? Seems silly to have two devices when one will do.

Do you have to be on Android? If what you use is available on the Apple app store, you can just get an iPod, pretty much an iPhone without the phone part.

brian3000

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013
The smartphone is used 95% of the time at home and rarely away from home. So I'm not really carrying two devices around all the time. My cell phone is very small and works like a charm. No desire to 'upgrade' it to a smartphone.

I'm not very much into Apple, but would consider one if it fit my needs.

I have an older Verizon model LG G3 that works without any issues only on WiFi only, my daughter uses it at times. Should be plenty of phones around you can use that are Android without service. See what is available used in your area and you should be able to test it before you get it to see how it works without an active SIM.

Jan 28, 2019

Jan 28, 2019
I had connectivity problems with Tracfone using. Samsung Galaxy 7. I used Tracfone for years but latley service has gone down. I switched to Boost Mobile and am glad I did. LG Stylo 4 give me unlimited text and phone with 30 GB of data...$67 a month which includes insurance. Boom!