Best Wireless Home Security Cameras 2015

Luke in Texas

Estimable
Jan 13, 2016
My wife and I went to Scotland, Ireland and England in 2015 and prior to our departure, I purchased 4 of the original Arlo cameras to install at a ranch we have in Texas. I also purchased a Canary to install at a second ranch in a nearby county. Both locations were served by the same internet company. While we were on our trip in the UK, the Canary was basically worthless and about 85% of the time, we were only able to see black images in our well illuminated house. The Arlo cameras impressed me. They were ALWAYS available when I used the Arlo app to view the cameras live.

I purchased an Arlo Go earlier this month to replace the Canary (which I plan on crushing with my tractor and posting on YouTube) and the Arlo Go, while impressive, has a few problems... #1. Battery life is short, even using their optional solar panel in brilliant Texas sunlight. #2. The cord from the solar panel is very, very short which means the panel can not be concealed very easily. #3. If a tree limb blows, the Arlo Go triggers and then it eats up the data plan. #4. Mounting the Arlo Go on the supplied mount is a royal pain. It is difficult to tighten the camera onto the very small threaded attaching device that screws into the Arlo Go, and to make matters worse, large thumb tabs (for lack of a better word) at the terminal end of the attach rod (about 3 inches long) make it difficult to tighten that too, because they easily come into contact with the bulky camera. The "ghilley" suit is an excellent was to conceal the Arlo Go in a tree, but the fuzzy strings easily blow into the front of the lens and ruin the night vision capability of the camera.

I like the Arlo products (especially my "old" original Arlo but the Arlo Go has some drawbacks, but it is vastly superior to the Canary. I can hardly wait to upload the Canary being crushed on YouTube.

Aug 23, 2018
I have to disagree. The best on the market at this time is the Arlo Pro 2 cameras. It is amazing the things you can do and the quality is outstanding.

Sep 22, 2018
I own an Arlo Pro 4 camera system. I like the camera quality and the app is easy to use but battery life is terrible and I'm constantly recharging the cameras. They will drain completely in less than 2 weeks.

Nov 27, 2018
We live in a log home in a remote area and have encountered a problem that I am hoping you can help with. We have been told that the logs interfere with the signal between an outdoor camera on the garage and the router (about 80' away). Can you suggest a camera that has a stronger signal and can also be some distance from the router? You suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Dec 11, 2018
I am perplexed by the storage options. The two main choices appear to be an SD card or cloud storage. My first choice would be to store the videos on my own network server, which has tons of storage available (and I can access remotely), but I don't see where this option is really available. I already have backup cloud storage (Carbonite) for most of my data files, so adding videos to this would no problem if I just wanted a safe, off-site storage option.