The Best VPN Services and Apps (Including Free Options)

Apr 9, 2018
Great article though why would any VPN need to implement a kill switch on Android if it already has built-in system wide kill switch?

Apr 19, 2018
Cannot share a lot about others only that the speed of nord in this post is underrated: the speed when torrenting isnt dropping more than regular (since you are connecting to foreign server) but other than that - totally satisfying service.

May 3, 2018
I'm a nordvpn user and was suprised that nord did not that well in this review. I never had any problems with connection speeds or buffers with them. Maybe it should be tested agai in this year as it has improved a lot.

May 14, 2018
this article should be updated as the information in it is not completely true. for example opera vpn is discontinued already. after that i purchased nordvpn and now trying out their features, even from first look i can say that it's very user friendly and so far works with netflix streaming

May 27, 2018
Unfortunately Private Internet Access PREVENTS you from sending email while connected unless your email provider is AOL, Google, mail.com, outlook or yahoo. MAJOR FLAW and makes the product useless to me now. I had been a happy customer. Just cancelled my subscription and moving to a better provider. AVOID PIA IF YOU SEND EMAIL

dsilverburgh

Prominent
Nov 23, 2017
Its a good read for sure. I want to know what is split tunneling and why it is significant for any VPN? I've googled it but can't get a good direction on it. Thanks

May 31, 2018
I'm confused why NordVPN is not even on this list? I can't be the only one who finds this suspicious as they shine in other reviews in sites like pcmag, vpnspecial etc. Ratings can't vary that much. I'm using Nord myself so I know for a fact that they have a good product, 100% worth mentioning.

May 31, 2018
I completely agree that NordVPN is easy to use (even my wife know how to use it) and I didn't feel any speed drops.

May 31, 2018
I think this article needs an update! I have no idea how you conduct your reviews, but reading your list chose a VPN provider and had nothing but problems. After all of the struggles switched to Nordvpn which is rated as slow VPN according to you guys, but my experience is completely opposite. Please don't mislead your audience

justin.m.beauvais

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
I've been using VPN Unlimited and I can see what you mean about it being a bit slow, however, several fairly quick serves do exist... it is just trial and error to find them. Otherwise I'm pretty satisfied with my service.

Jun 12, 2018
it would be interesting to see how did you test the speeds of these vpn's as it's strange that nord is rated not that well here. i'm using nordvpn for a few years and it's easy to see that they improved a lot lately. anyway, if you'd compare their speeds now, i think it would go right from six to ten.

jscuras

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017
Sadly, I engaged PIA, the number one rated and paid a "great price" for a 3 year service only to findout that dur to a recent SMTP abuses they no longer can be used when using Microsoft servers. So, all of my outbound email is rejected from Microsoft Servers due to this policy. In itself, fine, but as I enrolled in this service and while setting up the servie at no time was this mentioned nor, prior to a May 15 issue, was this a problem.

And, after days of issues and trying to get support, I never once had a tech personally engage to try and resolve the issue. They continued sending crutic emails which were often difficult to interpret and therefore extended the agony.

Then I find this new policy issued on 5/30 explaing that the email service I use, microsoft, is not supported. You think this would be made abundantly clear up front but it is hidden in a policy and never mentioned by setup support which is likely part of an unwritten policy of greed.

So, I now findout this wonderful service will not support my client and request a refund and they tell me after 7 days no refunds are possible.

I find this a disgrace and ask Tom's Hardware to reconsider vendors for their fairness and transparency and not their services alone when including a company like this into their list of "Best Services". And, any help you can provide in exposing this new policy would be appreciated also!

Regards,

John