Does a computer monitor need a computer tower to use in gaming?

Mar 20, 2018
Hey, I’m a novice at setting up gaming consoles and I’m afraid my parent’s aren’t much help either.

I’ll be getting a Wii U soon and wanted to know if I could use an old computer monitor instead of a tv as it would be more convieint. However, am I going to have to need a computer tower for the monitor? Because I don’t have a working computer tower for this monitor and those are pretty expensive.

I know this seems like a dumb question but I can’t find an obvious answer anywhere.

So am I going to need a computer tower as a power source for the monitor when hooking up gaming consoles to it?

Solution
You don't need a computer, the Wii will just connect to the monitor, as long as you have the right connections. The computer is not a power source for the monitor, the monitor has it's own power supply. Does the monitor you are using have speakers and the right connections to connect to the Wii?

Mar 20, 2018

I checked and I don’t think so, at least not naturally. It has VGA and DVI-D Dual Link connections while the Wii U needs HDMI. To do this, I’d need a converter but I don’t really know what type I’d need without breaking the bank.

As for the speakers, I don’t really know. It’s a pretty old Dell monitor that whenever I used with the computer tower it always had a set of speakers hooked up to the tower.

Thanks so much for the help already!

Sounds you are better off just getting a small TV to use with the Wii, or buy a monitor with HDMI and speakers.

My daughter uses a 24" TV as her computer monitor and has cable box on it as well, works great and was about $60 used.

I'd get a full 1080 HD set, works better with computers than the 720 ones.

Solution