Nest Hello vs. Ring Video Doorbell: What Should You Buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guardianali

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
60 days or recordings dont mean much if it isnt recording continuous. The issue with Ring is that since it only records when it sees motion in its motion zones, usually (read the reviews and you'll see) you end up getting the person walking away cause it didnt record quick enough.

The continuous recording means you can see the entire thing ...from the walk up ..to the door time..to the walk away...no missed portions.

Not to mention that 5 days is plenty to realize something bad has happend like a package being taken. I dont need to go back 60 days to see someone walking away with my package in their hand 60 days ago.

Mar 17, 2018
I previously had a Ring doorbell, then I went to a Vivint doorbell. Both worked great, and I loved my Vivint doorbell. I decided to give the Nest Hello a try: and it blew out my electrical wiring/transformer! Really strange that my wiring could handle the other two doorbells and not the Nest. Buyer BEWARE: you may blow our your transformer, and be forced to call out an electrician to fix it. I did that. My doorbell works again but my chime is still broken. Nest wasn't able to help me with these expenses at all.

My recommendation: wait for Nest to fix their power issues (on version 2). This one takes too much juice, and has a really terrible installation process that could easily cause shortages. Get a Ring or Vivint, and wait for version 2. (even though this one does have some facial recognition which is best-in-class, and is cool)

Apr 22, 2018

Amen: my old Ring never caught actual activity. It would only record the tail end of activity, usually with faces gone. The Nest Hello records everything and the HDR feature makes a huge improvement in video quality so you can actually see faces. There's no comparison between the two and Amazon's prices for Ring2 will likely reflect that in the future.

Dec 29, 2018
Warning: the Ring Doorbell Pro does NOT run on house wiring, but is always running on the internal battery. Once the battery dies, the device is inoperable and there is no replacement option. If you don't believe this, check out the reddit link below, documenting all of this with confirming links.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ringdoorbell/comments/8supnz/what_you_need_to_know_about_the_ring_doorbell_pro/

Jan 23, 2019
One of the reasons I ended up going with The Ring Pro was not mentioned in this article. My understanding is that the Nest has to be wired to a chime, where Ring can be wired to a chime OR use their plug-in chimes throughout the house and then can be grouped with a plug-in chime for ring notifications. This is the only reason I did not go with Nest Hello. Can anyone confirm this is the case or is there another way to get notifications of doorbell rings with Nest?

Status
Not open for further replies.