Pixel 2 XL Beats Galaxy S9+ and iPhone X in Camera Shootout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad_53

Prominent
Feb 24, 2017
I don't like your scoring system because a narrow loss is the same as being trounced. For example, the Pixel XL deserves more than 4 points over the iPhone X for those two Bar shots.

avshmu

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Somebody didn't hear about DxOMark, or having trouble understanding what they wrote.
In any case, he doesn't let the facts get in the way.
Here are the results of the professionals:
Samsung Galaxy 9+ comes first, followed by the Pixel 2. That leaves the iPhone (notch) X in the thirds place.
Game over. Try again?

Feb 27, 2018
I agree, I personally know people who own the iphone 10.....they concede that the Pixel 2 XL is so much better than their phone. Don't really understand why the iphone is even tested, it is such an average phone. Samsung Note 8 camera is also so much better than the iphone 10.

Mar 9, 2018
I've got. 5 million views of my old phones camera shots on Google, I have an HTC10, with a great low light camera that blew everything away 3 years ago. I'm going with the Galaxy 9 this time around.

mocsabkcid

Prominent
Oct 31, 2017
I am sorry but I don't agree with your summary. Yes, the Pixel has a great camera as does the IPhone X, but comparing all of the same photos, both thumbnail and full size, the S9 Plus was the winner to my eye (very close I will admit, but it edged out the Pixel and beat the Iphone by a tad as well). In the end, I think these photo comparisons are very difficult to judge as everyone has their own perception of what looks best in given circumstances.

samanthaleviosa

Estimable
Nov 15, 2015
I really like the time that was put into providing hi-res images of these devices side-by-side so we can judge for our own tastes. I also feel like you put a lot more time into controlling variables and cropping to get as similar of a shot on each phone as possible, a lot of reviews I've seen haven't done that. This does help me feel better about sticking with the s9 because the differences are so minimal and seem to vary based on situations and personal preference.

mahck

Estimable
Nov 2, 2015
I'm mostly good with the scoring except for the portrait mode. I think the order should be reversed. Yes the GS9 overexposed the face but it was doing that pretty consistently and you can adjust exposure manually if you don't like the choice the phone makes.

This was a test of portrait mode. The primary job is to isolate the subject and blur the background. The GS9 was the only phone that didn't make a complete mess of things. That's something I can't fix by adjusting the capture settings and my biggest gripe with simulated depth of field that phones are doing today. If it has clumsy blur artifacts it makes the picture a total fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.