Help: Ultrabook / "Gaming Laptop"

Status
Not open for further replies.

prolific

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
The "related threads" I came across are all from 2014, or so. I'm sure there are more recent ones that I'm missing, so I apologize in advance for asking what I imagine is a pretty common question:

Currently, I'm on some outdated HP Envy 14 from like 2008-2009, or something, so it's definitely time for an upgrade to say the least.

I'm a "causal gamer", and the game I'd be (going back to) is World of Warcraft, just to give you all an idea regarding benchmarks. I'll need a new laptop before I do so, so here I am.

Now, outside of WoW, I don't know what other games I'd consider poking around at, but it would be nice to have a system that could support "whatever" currently and going forward (future-proofing is always nice, but obviously expensive).

Cost is a factor, and I'd like to keep it as "reasonable" as possible.

I also gravitate toward the "thinner" ultrabooks. So, overall design is important to me, but in the end, not something I'd sacrifice value and performance for.

That said, this is at the top of the list for me, in terms of both performance and pricing:

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/asus-rog-zephyrus

There's nothing reasonable about that price (other than you probably get what you pay for; it looks like a monster). I imagine there are alternatives that'll do me just fine for what I need, however.

The other two models that I keep coming back to:

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc...1326321/review
https://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc...1328971/review

What others am I missing, or should take a look at?

I think we can probably cross off the XPS 13, given the GPU constraints?

I'll also need to invest in a new monitor, as well. I am even less up-to-date in that department.

I keep coming back to this one, but it appears to be at the top of the list price point-wise again:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...eb89e8e1c2c09b

Your recommendations, regarding both the laptop itself and monitor, would be greatly appreciated.

ArchitSahu

Estimable
Apr 11, 2014

prolific

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010

Thank you for the reply!

I’ve been absent from the PC world for years now, but assume that 1060 and 1070 (GPU’s) are currently top of the line, and what I want to shoot for?

Additionally, and I know I linked a Razer model myself: I’ve heard many share the sentiment that they’re largely overrated, and you’re simply paying for the name (as opposed to a higher-end ASUS, etc)?

ArchitSahu

Estimable
Apr 11, 2014

1080Ti>1080>1070>1060>1050Ti>1050.

Currently, the 1080 is the best you would find in a laptop AFAIK. There is a new GPU release around the corner, but its laptop variant may take some time so this would be the best for now.

Why I gave Razer is because their main office is a minute away from where I go to work and all, as they are basically a Singaporean Company with legal founding and roots in US. So I know people working for Razer and have tried some of their Blades and it was a good experience. Of course, these are people who are at the head of their departments and are Razer employees, so they may be biased. I would keep them in mind, but not completely remove them.

EpIckFa1LJoN

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016
Two things.
1. You don't need anything more than a 1060 (Mobile) for WoW. Anything else will be wasted.

2. It's a CPU heavy game so you'll want AT LEAST a 7700HQ.

With both of those I was looking at the Acer Helios. I'm on my phone so I can't link it right now. But its got specs that will allow you to play WoW at least at graphics preset 7, at 60fps 95% of the time. It will drop to about 40 in some raids, BG's, and world bosses, but for the price you can't beat it. And you don't need anything more than that 1060 for 1080p.

The other option is to wait for Kaby Lake G (8th gen) chips with Vega M graphics.

The CPU will be MUCH faster and the Vega M is comparable to the 1060 (Mobile) which is still more than enough for WoW

Status
Not open for further replies.