Estimable
Dec 10, 2014
This is my computer right now

CPU- Intel i5 2500
Ram- 12 GB DDR3
Motherboard- Lenovo Mahobay
Graphics- 1024MB ATI AMD Radeon R7 200 Series
PSU- 350 W

If I get a gtx 1050ti, will my computer be VR ready?

Also, how long should I wait to buy a new graphics? I was told to wait for the prices to go down, but I'm worried that they will go up again

And will I need to get a new PSU for the gtx 1050ti?

Solution
Agreed. The 1060 6GB should be your next upgrade goal regardless of your VR needs at the time. While the 1050 Ti has been greenlighted for the RIft by Nvidia it's on the bottom of the totem pole. I'd want at least a little more eye candy when using VR or even regular gaming.

Worth it? GFX card prices have been, are and will be severely overpriced due to cryptocurrency for at least a little while. As long as that 1060, for $150 more is the 6GB version, I'd say it's worth it considering the market's condition which is fubar.

jossrik

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2002
Depending on the R7 200 series you have, a 1050Ti might not be the best idea. If you've got a desktop computer that can take a 1050Ti, save up and get at least a 1060 6Gb. (Not the 3Gb) And ya, right now is not the best time to be in the market to buy a graphics card. You need a lot of horsepower for VR, the fastest you can get is what's recommended. Right now, you could also wait on the next gen Nvidia cards to come out, that should be in the next couple months or so... When they come out, grab one quick cause they're gonna sell out most likely. Also, you'll want a beefier PSU, luckily, there are some good choices in the 550/650w section that won't totally kill your wallet. I don't know the minimum requirements for VR on the PC, but I do know that some of the titles are pushing the limits on what graphics cards can do right now, and that will continue to be the case. The PSU, get something good so you can use it on your next computer build.

Megan_batman

Estimable
Dec 10, 2014

My current card is a 250X
Is it really worth the extra $150 for the 1060 over the 1050 ti?

I don't really need VR, I was just curious
But I do need a new graphics.
I was just wondering if I did get that one, if I could run VR if I wanted to

Chance Wellman

Commendable
Oct 29, 2016
The 1060 6gb would, In my opinion, be the best route, It's for sure worth the extra money. Should last a while too, But like Jossrick said, waiting for the new gen could also pay off.

Hell, if you don't want to wait for the new series then wait an extra 2 weeks or a month and save up for a 1070 and you're golden.

Thats my two cents.

aquielisunari

Distinguished
Agreed. The 1060 6GB should be your next upgrade goal regardless of your VR needs at the time. While the 1050 Ti has been greenlighted for the RIft by Nvidia it's on the bottom of the totem pole. I'd want at least a little more eye candy when using VR or even regular gaming.

Worth it? GFX card prices have been, are and will be severely overpriced due to cryptocurrency for at least a little while. As long as that 1060, for $150 more is the 6GB version, I'd say it's worth it considering the market's condition which is fubar.

Solution

ragnar-gd

Estimable
Sep 30, 2014
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Megan_batman : "Can an Intel core i5 2500 run VR?"

On my NVidia Experience, an i7-3770 is recommended minimum for VR. I haven't tested that.

toshibitsu

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
That i5-2500 is below the minimum system requirements for VR. The minimum requirement is an i5-4590, which out performs an i7-3770... so you're going to have to upgrade both your CPU and motherboard.

If you get a socket 1150, you'll at least be able to continue using the same DDR3 memory(anything newer and you'll be switching up to DDR4)