LG G5 H-830 Battery Drain

Feb 15, 2018
Hey, about two months ago I purchased an open box T-Mobile LG G5 from a reputable eBay seller. The first month, I didn't notice any problems, but the past month my phone battery is losing juice much faster. The stock battery setting is saying the top culprits are "phone idle", Android os, castbox (which I do use a lot), and kernel os. I have since downloaded system monitor, better battery stats, and gsam battery monitor. I will post all the screenshots I took of my last full charge down to about 14%. The gsam app is saying the phone is being woken up hundreds of times by Android os. Also, better battery stats is saying there are hundreds if not thousands of alarms being sent to my phone from Android. Overall, it just seems my phone doesn't get into deep sleep much but stays in the awake with screen off category. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you would need any more information. Also, when my battery drains a lot it gets very hot and the screen lags when you type on the phone.
Phone Screenshots This is the link to my imgur page with 25 screenshots from a few monitoring apps from that phone discharge.
https://imgur.com/1Jkr3C1
https://imgur.com/RCcMgpx
https://imgur.com/y61bb91

It could be a few things.

1. The simplest is that the battery could be old or defective and need replacing.
2. The device could have malware, virus, spyware, etc on it that needs to be removed.
3. You could have apps that are running in the background that don't actually need to be. (aka bad app).

There are other things as well, but that is where I would start.

Feb 15, 2018

Ok, I ran my phone is safe mode with the same battery drain so does that rule out #3 or could it be a native app causing that? I also ran my lookout security app on my phone and it says all my apps are safe. Would that rule out #2? I'm trying to avoid having to factory reset my phone, but if that's the next best step after getting a new battery then I can try it.

Feb 15, 2018

Ok, I checked into what the lookout security app scans and it says it scans apps and files on the device for malware as well as spyware etc... So as best I can figure out it scans all that and is telling me my phone is ok. I will try a new battery next. Thanks for your help!

Try turning off the phone and then start it up in "Safe Mode". It will limit the apps you can access, but you can test if it acts the same or not. If it does, then you know it is the battery or something hardware. However, if it doesn't do it in "Safe Mode", then there is something causing the problem on the device (not hardware or the battery).

To get into "Safe Mode" please do the following.

1. First turn off the phone.

2. Next press and hold "Power" until you see the manufacturers logo on the screen, then release the power button.

3. "Quickly" press "Volume Down" and hold it for few seconds until you see the message "Safe mode: ON" or something similar.

4. If you wanted disable it, simply repeat the steps above, and you should see "Safe Mode: OFF" rather than on.

Feb 15, 2018

So I have run my phone in safe mode for a discharge anddidn't notice any difference in battery usage. I can definitely run it again if that would help narrow things down. I'm linking to a few screenshots from my safe mode battery discharge.

Safe mode screenshot 1
Safe mode screenshot 2

lg_team

Great
Feb 15, 2018
One of the main things I can recomend is to delete your cache,

Turn off phone. Hold home button, volume up, and power buttons at the same time till recovery comes up. Use volume up and down to navigate and power to select and wipe partition.

Another thing would be to reset your device, this will delete your information so please make a back up first, the below article can walk you step by step.
http://www.lg.com/us/support/product-help/CT10000027-20150103625691-memory-management

Feb 15, 2018
Ok, well I don't think I have a physical home button. I googled how to wipe the cache partition and the t mobile page said to do it through the storage settings page. So I went and deleted the internal storage cache. Then to ensure that I wasn't missing anything I started the phone up while holding the power and volume down buttons. I got an option to do a factory reset but that was the only option. I said I didn't want to factory reset and then my phone booted up normally.

Feb 15, 2018

Hey, so I purchased a new battery and factory reset my phone. I'm still getting a lot of phone idle wearing out my battery. I compared my phone idle to my wife's and her Samsung s7 after 8 hrs and 50% discharge has a 3% phone idle with 79 mAg. Meanwhile, my idle % is always above 10%. I ran my phone for 8 hrs and got a usage of 197 mAh and that was in airplane mode without using it since I was sleeping. I'm attaching some images of my most recent battery tests. I'm lost about how to even continue troubleshooting this problem. Screenshot

[url=http://imgur.com/HneLAxf]Screenshot 2
[/url]

Screenshot 3

Screenshot 4

Apr 11, 2018

The only thing I can think of is that it could be an intentional software drain created by the manufacturer of the hardware with the collusion with the primary software manufacturer, so that we will all buy new phones to replace our old crappy ones ... I too have the exact problem of some force of frustration commandeering my phone battery resources, so what I am going to do is systematically uninstall apps until my battery ceases to hemorrhage resources, and then I will start reinstalling known safe apps until I find the culprit that is causing all the problems. I've been trying to find the solution for this problem for over a year with no success. I did a hard reset, uninstalled every unnecessary app and disabled what I couldn't uninstall. Only letting the Google stuff install and update freely. So I have a feeling it has something to do with the Google software and I would bet dollars to Donuts it's a program that interacts with the cloud, such as Google Drive. Pretty much I'm sick of having a battery pack strapped to my phone at all times.

Feb 15, 2018

Yeah I've pretty much given up on figuring it out. Nobody seems to know a solution for it unfortunately. Seems a little over my head. I'll just deal with the shorter battery life I suppose.

merinski

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017
Have you moved any apps to sd card? I've been dealing with this issue myself and from my trial and error it seems (for me) when I try to save space by moving any apps to the external memory is when I have battery issues. This seems a ridiculous way to have the phone set up, constantly waking to check status of the sd card but it's a possibility.

Feb 15, 2018

I have a lot of apps but they're all saved to internal storage. I've found that even when I run my phone in safe mode it still has the battery issues. So I'm not sure what else to try since safe mode rules out the sd and internally saved apps.

JrBoi

Estimable
Dec 17, 2014
If its running Nogat, you will just have this issue. When they released the Nogat update, it came with a HUGE battery drain issue. I'm going to take it that no one who tried to give a solution actually owned the phone. I had it since it came out and still have it (Cant afford another phone yet, waiting for my upgrade to be ready and finish paying off). There is honestly nothing you can do unless you root it and put another ROM on it or figure out how to downgrade it back to Marshmellow (I don't think you can anymore, but if you can find something, tell me! lol).

Aug 20, 2018
Hello! I also had battery problems.
It seems like a problem appears after some of last large Sofware update. I think - it is a bug.

Ir solved problem with turning off "Always-on Display" feature.
Before my battery was 30% at evening, but now - 60%.

I hope this will help.