Acer Predator helios 300 or MSI apache pro? both 1060

xnevin2012

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018
1. What is your budget?

$1300-$1800 max

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
17 inch

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1080p

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Neither dont have a desktop so laptop is my main computer doesnt have to be “portable” I dont mind lugging around a bigger laptop thats heavier

5. How much battery life do you need?
3 hours might be using for university I know gaming laptop batterys dont last very long tho so not very choosey

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

League of legends ( High)
PubG ( High)
For honor ( High)
The Division (high)

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Looking to start a youtube channel so will be using for video editing I already do some graphic designing on coreldraw and inkscape

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
1TB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-apache-pro-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hard-drive-aluminum-black/6174475.p?skuId=6174475

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-predator-helios-300-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hd-256gb-solid-state-drive-black/6025404.p?skuId=6025404

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I got almost 4 years use out of my m14x R2 and honestly didnt take the best care out of it I would like to the get the same amount of time 3-4 years from my next laptop and will be taking much better care of it

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
No specification

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Ive heard acer and MSI customer service are not really the best alot of people are saying the predator will only last 1-2 years and then start having problems just looking to see if anyone has had any experience with either of these computers and can vouch for them?

13. What country do you live in?
Canada

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I know everyone says streaming on laptops arent viable, but I would really love to be able to at least try to stream league of legends to twitch on high/even medium. I just want to be able to run games on high maybe try them on ultra high settings but just to see how they look im ok with just playing games on high and if I choose be able to stream them to twitch

maineim

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017
The Helios is more portable and practical. The PredatorSense software has plenty of options for overclocking, fan controls, etc. And is more much recent than the MSI and it has more upgrade options (RAM, a empty 2.5 bay, easy M.2 swap).

If I need to select between that 2 models, the Helios is better for me.

Greetings

UPDATE: the Helios has a Kaby Lake i7, and the MSI has a Skylake (older and less powerful)

According to the model # of the MSI (GE72VR665), the CPU is the same as the one in the Helios.

maineim

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017

I put that model in Google and a i7 6700HQ is displayed, probably I wrote it bad xD

UPDATE 2: the MSI appears unavaible in BestBuy, because of that knowing the exact specs MAY be hard

Nope. GE72VR665 is a specific model # and has the same specs no matter where you find it. :D

https://www.google.com/search?q=GE72VR665&oq=GE72VR665&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i61l3&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

maineim

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017

I wrote it bad, MY mistake, sorry

No worries, mate. Your help is much appreciated. :D