Looking for GPS unit [5"+].G@@GLE just directed me to Drive Off a Cliff!

sheranne

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018
I'm looking for the best possible Portable GPS unit for my car (non-watch). A GREAT one. I don't care if it's not new (read-discontinued by manufacturer) I've just had it w/GoogleMap'sFailures. Tom's Guide/Tom's Hardware is the ONLY review site I trust for unbiased information. Can anyone make a suggestion?

Solution
We've a large number of Stateside posters and hopefully, one can advise you soon.

In my own experience, it is not the precise science the makers and service providers claim them to be. My wife has a Garmin but I'm an old and an old- fashioned map man.

When driving with it turned on, I find I'm a mile into a speed camera zone before it warns me of upcoming cameras that I passed a minute earlier. One day, it suggested a route that would have taken us downhill in a field of wheat to a riverside with no bridges.

I'll stick to maps.
All of them make mistakes and a lot depends on which country you're in.

Here in the UK, Garmin does as better a job than the rival, TomTom (not Tom's related, I assure you.

They all get their information from the same satellites as Google Earth so you might find they take you over that same cliff.

sheranne

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018
Others (always Garmin) have in the past died suddenly - no apparent reason. Charging port failures and such and cannot be repaired. I'm in the U.S.. Perhaps that will narrow it down a bit.

We've a large number of Stateside posters and hopefully, one can advise you soon.

In my own experience, it is not the precise science the makers and service providers claim them to be. My wife has a Garmin but I'm an old and an old- fashioned map man.

When driving with it turned on, I find I'm a mile into a speed camera zone before it warns me of upcoming cameras that I passed a minute earlier. One day, it suggested a route that would have taken us downhill in a field of wheat to a riverside with no bridges.

I'll stick to maps.

Solution