Gigaset smartphones - any experiences? (Looking for a quality smartphone)

ludi_kure

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
Hello everyone,

after 13 years of use my Siemens S65 cell phone finally started dying (true story) and I'll have to look for a new phone. I think I have only one major requirement for the new phone, and yet it's not easy to fulfil - I want it's quality and durable. I'd rather buy another used S65 than a piece of Chinese crap that'll stop working properly after a year and a half of use.

My relatives have been using Samsung and Apple phones for last 4-5 years and we've got first-hand experience that these two brands fall into the above-mentioned category. But now I've found out about Gigaset, a German company which manufactures DECT telephones and smartphones and seems to be a kind-of descendant of Siemens Mobile. I've also read somewhere about Gigaset phones that they are actually quite good, so I finally started considering buying a smartphone instead of a new S65 :)

So - anybody has any experience or information about Gigaset smartphones (GS270, GS370 ...)? Is it just another manufacturer that produces half-working phones with built-in obsolescence, or have they miraculously retained the German-style values of quality and performance?

Gigaset smartphones site: www.gigaset.com/at_de/smartphones

Haha sounds like me. Use a phone forever.

They are an OK brand from what I have heard/read, but most smart phones will not last you like a non-smart one. That would need to be considered if you are wanting it to last a long time. It also depends on what kind of user you are. If you need a phone that is physically able to put up with a lot, then most phones won't measure up. However if you are like me and don't abuse it, it can last you a long while. I have had the one I use now for oh, 3 1/2 years. It wasn't rated as a great phone, but had what I wanted and was cheap. And it still works. You just have to take into consideration (when doing like that) that the phone will only get 'updates' for so long. Eventually the OS will be at the version you have on it until you get a new device. They don't keep updating them. However, most app makers do make their apps usable by a range of Android versions.

The phones you mentioned do have good specs, nice camera MP, and more. So if you really want a smartphone, they are a good option. Here is a good place to go over specs for the different devices you are looking at through them, and compare them to others... http://www.pdevice.com/brand/gigaset

Now, if you want it just for calls and texts, I would suggest a non-smart phone. They are actually still around.

ludi_kure

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
Thank you @webworkings!

I totally understand that smartphones can't be as durable as the non-smart ones simply because of their complexity. I'm also not going to push the poor thing to its limits (though I had lost my Siemens C55, which I owned before S65, in forest one autumn morning and found it the next day - but I was still in my early teens then, and the phone worked perfectly again after being dried on the radiator :)) ... What I want is that the phone's life is not artificially limited with poor components or hidden software that intentionally hogs it down.

The sites with phone reviews mainly focus on specs (thanks for your advice on that too) while it's hard to find information about quality and performance. Has anybody got any experience with Gigaset, or anybody knows another phone brand that is known to not use built-in obsolescence?