SD card issue

topeakinlaja

Prominent
Jan 17, 2018
I bought an android phone running on nougat. When I first purchased it. I inserted an SD card of 2g capacity. It asked for it to be formatted to use as internal memory I opted yes and it was done. But as that 2g was too small I later got and inserted a 64g SD card but the phone never gave me an option to use as internal memory again. Though I will see the SD card in storage under settings but it never stores any of my files.

What can I do so I can use my higher capacity SD card as internal memory locked to the phone. The phone memory is expandable to 128g.

Solution
Well, if you didn't set the old card as "Not" internal memory anymore, that could be your problem. You would need to put it back in the phone and then change it. However, that will also make the old one unable to hold apps. Once it was set that way, the phone may not accept any others until that is changed. Or it could be an update to the device changed the options that it allows for. Not uncommon with some manufacturers. Also, make sure that the device allows for a card of that size (space wise). Devices do have limits.

I am including the instructions on how to set up a card as internal, should the above not resolve the issue. If it doesn't work, or steps are missing, then the manufacturer did change something when the device updated...
Well, if you didn't set the old card as "Not" internal memory anymore, that could be your problem. You would need to put it back in the phone and then change it. However, that will also make the old one unable to hold apps. Once it was set that way, the phone may not accept any others until that is changed. Or it could be an update to the device changed the options that it allows for. Not uncommon with some manufacturers. Also, make sure that the device allows for a card of that size (space wise). Devices do have limits.

I am including the instructions on how to set up a card as internal, should the above not resolve the issue. If it doesn't work, or steps are missing, then the manufacturer did change something when the device updated.

First, you need to be using a phone that is running at least Android "Marshmallow" (or newer) or be able to upgrade to it. Second, you will need the instructions I am including below. And third, you need a phone that has not been restricted by the manufacturer from making this change. Which does happen.

NOTE: If any of the steps are missing on your phone, or they don't work for you, then you have a phone that either has an older Android version or has been restricted by the manufacturer.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Marshmallow" a.k.a. 6.0.

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Nougat" a.k.a. 7.0.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure you start with a blank SD card. When the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device), so anything on it prior would be gone.

1. Go to "Settings", and then select "Storage & USB".
2. At the bottom of the list you should see the SD card's details, including the option to format it and make it "Internal" storage.
3. Once this is done, reboot the device and you can start running things from the card.

If you don't reboot the phone, some things may not work correctly, so make sure you do the reboot.

Solution

topeakinlaja

Prominent
Jan 17, 2018
Thank you for your reply. But unfortunately I have lost the initial SD card, thus to insert it and set as NOT Internal Memory is impossible. Is there something else I can do please?

The phone model is Infinix Note4 if that helps your assisting me.