Best Dell Laptop for Business Major

Spacemarine2142

Estimable
Jun 27, 2015
Hey guys,

I am a business major currently and I will be entering my junior year after this semester. I recently traded in my old Alienware 17 R4 for about a $1000 Dell gift card. Due to this I have been scanning Dell's website trying to find out what will be the best laptop for Microsoft office programs, presentations, as well as note taking. Personally I was looking at the Dell Latitude 5290 2 in 1, but 2 in 1s and laptops are out of my realm of knowledge. Are there any other Dell laptops that are good options?

- Not looking to spend more than an extra $600 after the $1000 gift card ($1600 total after tax (tax rate is 7%)).
- Must be lightweight and easy to use.
- Looking for something some what small as well.
- 2 in 1s sound nice due to the purchasable Active Pen

Anyone with knowledge of Dell laptops is welcome to comment! Any information or recommendations are extremely appreciated!

You basically have 3 options that should all fall within your budget. They are all in the Dell XPS line which have "Infinity Displays", which is basically their phase for laptops with thin bezels around the screen to make the overall size of the laptop smaller.

For example, the 15.6" Dell XPS 15 is about the size of a typical 14" laptop, while the 13.3" Dell XPS 13 is I think about the size of a 12.5" laptop. The $999 version of the Dell XPS 15 has a dual core i3-7100H CPU and relies on integrated Intel HD 620 graphics, 8GB of RAM and you get a 500GB hard drive. Bumping up to $1300 will get you the Dell XPS 15 with a quad core i5-7300HQ, nVdia GTX 1050 GPU, 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD. The $1,500 version has a quad core i7-7700HQ CPU, 16GB of RAM, 512GB SSD and of course the GTX 1050... after tax it comes of $1,605 so just marginally over you budget.

There are two versions of the Dell XPS 13; "traditional laptop" and the 2-in-1 convertible with pen support. They all rely on integrated graphics. The "traditional" Dell XPS 13 have models with either dual core 7th generation Intel CPUs or quad core 8th generation Intel CPUs in the Core i5 / i7 series. The Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 laptops (with pen support) use CPUs that are a bit less powerful than the typical Core i5 / i7 CPUs. They use 7th generation "Y series" variants of Core i5 / i7 CPUs which consumes less power and produces less heat.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/sc/laptops/xps-laptops?~ck=bt