Use Sprint Galaxy S6 on Metro PCS network?

tiribulus

Prominent
Jan 6, 2018
I can't seem to find up to date info on this.

I have a USA Sprint Galaxy S6, unlocked from the Sprint network. (definitely is). I want to give it to somebody to use with their MetroPCS USA account. I'm getting mixed messages about whether this is possible. Can somebody please settle this and if it is workable, point me to where and how please?

Thank you very much.

Solution
Well it can and it can't. How is that for confusing? :) Let me explain...

Sprint uses a CDMA network. So only CDMA phones come from them or work on their network. It is their network.

Metro PCS is not a main carrier. They don't have their own network. They actually use other major carriers networks, but they use different ones in different areas. So some places it is a CDMA network and others it is GSM.

A CDMA phone doesn't work on a GSM network and vice versa. So while the phone 'may' work, there is no way of knowing for sure without checking directly with Metro PCS, but not only checking with them, but checking for using it in the area where your friend wants to have the service.

In the end, you will need to ask Metro PCS. :)
Well it can and it can't. How is that for confusing? :) Let me explain...

Sprint uses a CDMA network. So only CDMA phones come from them or work on their network. It is their network.

Metro PCS is not a main carrier. They don't have their own network. They actually use other major carriers networks, but they use different ones in different areas. So some places it is a CDMA network and others it is GSM.

A CDMA phone doesn't work on a GSM network and vice versa. So while the phone 'may' work, there is no way of knowing for sure without checking directly with Metro PCS, but not only checking with them, but checking for using it in the area where your friend wants to have the service.

In the end, you will need to ask Metro PCS. :)

Solution