Apple Reportedly Throttling Older iPhones

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert88324

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
This has been happening to me since I updated to iOS 11. I thought at first I just dropped my phone or it got wet at some point and needed to replace the battery/go to the Apple store to get it checked out. Glad to see others are seeing this issue as well.

pkoepfgen

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017
Funny, I have been telling people at work and at home my iphone6 became significantly slower after a recent OS update.. We are all noticing it. I'd rather Apple just tell us to replace the battery - and I would have if it started acting up.

Think of the timing too - right before the Christmas (etc.) holiday shopping season. Apple is purposefully slowing down their phones to improve sales. I don't Apple - after finding out other rediculous decisions they've made on their MacBook Pro Harddrives - I'm not going to buy any more Apple computers.. if the Androids were less finicky, I'd move our household to that platform for phones too.

monseemian

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017
I find this throttling some what similar to what VW was doing by tweaking their software to hide their emission levels; yes, not the same level of crime here but Apple should be made to pay fines if not the same Billions that VW ended up paying!

Ryan Duncan

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
Another magical and innovative feature by the brilliant minds at Apple! No matter what they do to screw over and control their customers, the devoted still continue to line up and bend over. Apple is like the Scientology of the tech world now.

draw8962

Commendable
Sep 28, 2017
Jail break it & set your device free from the influences of a company that has continually abused their fanatic customers on all levels MacBook pro retina mid 2014, IPhone 6$ there last best devices.

Ryan Duncan

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
Another magical and innovative feature by the brilliant minds at Apple! No matter what they do to screw over and control their customers, the devoted still continue to line up and bend over. Apple is like the Scientology of the tech world now.

Greg_91

Prominent
May 3, 2017
It's fine if they do it but it should not be on the sly without notification. The battery icon should change colo, like when you put your phone in power save mode so you know it's doing it. The should not be able to just throttle without notifying users. Unfortunately this is something you can get with proprietary code and hardware. Apple can hide things like this so users just go buy new phones instead of fixing the batteries. I also see an excellent opportunity for an app maker to create an app to detect this issue.

gowiththeflow

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017
I have been buying Apple products for 25 years now, but this is it for me. The smarmy geeks in Cupertino have just crossed the one final line in their long line of disrespecting their own customers. How creepy to secretly turn our phones into seemingly outdated devices through a secret OS update. How can customers trust this company not to do more to them behind the "update" shield? Enough. And to the author - these are not "elder" devices. This technology, at more than $600 a pop, should last longer than a year or two. The industry would love it if we all bought into the idea that a one year old device is old. But back to the basics -F$$! Apple for what they have done.

kawkaw2079

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017
was desperate to see steve jobs succeed with iphone 10 years back, now i just want apple to go to hell. shows that jobs was the innovator and now the heirs are just milking the cow

c.soglo

Prominent
Dec 22, 2017
I also think this is sneaky bullshit. I planned on buying a new Iphone, since my last (SE) was stolen. But i won't. I hope others do that, too.
If we (the people :p aka customers) don't react and start boycotting bad decisions of our companies, nothing will change but things will get worse over time.
So this is it for me..
And tomsguide and all other tech newspapers should start to be more critical and direct. I don't respect too much political correctness when it is not due.
What apple does isn't planned obsolescence but manipulation of my device in a negative way.... And nothing else. period.
bye apple

Status
Not open for further replies.