Cheap camera attach to monitor?

rnorman345

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016
I would like to put a video camera in our belfry and display the picture on a computer screen ideally without a computer; it must be wired as there is NO wi-fi or internet in church and the camera only needs to be on when the screen is on. No need for sound but either lighting or night vision would be good. Ideas please – main concern is the connection camera to screen. Many thanks

Solution

50 feet is not good for USB, even with a powered booster if you want it to be reliable. But you can use a standard security camera with a cable to a monitor, or a wifi camera connected to a computer which...
Can't make out what you are trying to do, setup a remote camera? There is no way to have it turn on only when the screen is on unless you wire both to the same power on/off switch.

What are you planning to wire this to? You need to send the video to something. Did you already look at security camera options?

rnorman345

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016

rnorman345

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016
I would like to put a camera in the bells and transmit the (moving) picture down to a screen 50 feet below in the ringing chamber only during practice (90 mins a week) in fact only during part of that time for learners; there is power point in the bells BUT it would be hard to get to and switch the camera on and off. I know that it could be done with PC and USB camera but over that distance? And ideally no computer straight to a screen (though I suppose I could use a Raspberry Pie and then we could eat it after ringing - smile)

50 feet is not good for USB, even with a powered booster if you want it to be reliable. But you can use a standard security camera with a cable to a monitor, or a wifi camera connected to a computer which is likely easier and cheaper. You don't need a powerful computer, a $100 used laptop will work.

Solution