brogundapo

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
I am building a new PC as I am fully in the PCMR ecosystem and have some cash to spend after spending summer saving up. I have an idea of all the components which includes: NZXT S340 Elite, Ryzen 5 1600, GTX 980 SC EVGA, 8GB HyperX Fury DDR4 2400Mhz Ram, MSI B350M Gaming Pro, CoolerMaster Seidon 120V V3, Corsair CX650M PSU and 1tb HDD witha 64gb SSD. All this comes to around £700. I am building this system to get into VR, but also 1080p gaming. I also have a youtube channel and need to record in 1080p and edit+render videos to upload them. I am a semi hardcore gamer, I don't play competitively but I play a lot. For VR, I am torn between the Vive and Rift. I have both the space and money for them, but need an outsiders opinion. Based on what I've said, which one is better? With the Oculus, my total is £1100(with a a few accessories) and with the Vive only £50 more as I am getting it second hand(not heavily used, just unboxed). All help is appreciated, both on the build and the headset. Thanks!

Solution
Are you buying the components new? Then a 980 will likely be poor value compared to a 1060. But if you get a well priced 980 second hand it's another story.

I'd also skip the low-end liquid cooling for the CPU, air coolers are generally cheaper and quieter unless you go to the very high end. Might also want to get faster RAM for Ryzen, it makes a difference to performance.

You'll want a proper, large SSD at some point. Loading times suck, but they're worse when you're in a VR headset. But I guess you can always add that later.

Oculus and Vive are roughly evenly matched. Since the Oculus is cheaper, comes new (so you have proper warranty and support), and also comes with more games, that's the better value.

delta5

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Don't get a 970. It has .5GB memory that is gimped and don't let anyone tell you other wise because they paid out 970 customers in a class action lawsuit. Get at least a 1060 6GB card or better. I have the NZXT S340 case and love it, but plan to add two 140mm fans in the front to utilize the air filter.

brogundapo

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017

This us great but I'm not getting a 970 I'm getting a 980 which is better or at least comparable to a 1060

Sakkura

Distinguished
Are you buying the components new? Then a 980 will likely be poor value compared to a 1060. But if you get a well priced 980 second hand it's another story.

I'd also skip the low-end liquid cooling for the CPU, air coolers are generally cheaper and quieter unless you go to the very high end. Might also want to get faster RAM for Ryzen, it makes a difference to performance.

You'll want a proper, large SSD at some point. Loading times suck, but they're worse when you're in a VR headset. But I guess you can always add that later.

Oculus and Vive are roughly evenly matched. Since the Oculus is cheaper, comes new (so you have proper warranty and support), and also comes with more games, that's the better value.

Solution

brogundapo

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
Thanks a lot. After much consideration I've decided on the oculus. The inbuilt headphones, battery life l, sleek look and price have got me sold. Also the 980 is used and cheaper than the 1060 new. I'll definitely get it. I'll also look into a better air cooler and my ram is overclockable so I will definitely do that. I might get 3000+ MHz for the performance boost. Thanks