What to pc parts to buy for a smooth VR experience?

avik.bara

Prominent
Dec 8, 2017
I currently own a pc that serves me well but i want to delve into VR and for that my pc is extreamly under powered.
This is what i currently have
My "build":
Cpu: FX 6300
Gpu: GTX 960
PSU: 550 W crossair something
RAM: 16gb kingston
motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3
hard disk: 500 gb green WD
sound card: creative 5.1 dolby something uses small pci slot i think its called 1x slot
Monitor: local monitor max res 1366x768 60 hz
Case: case is from my first compaq presario 3000 it is pretty sturdy still and i would like to keep it but if it need to changed i can do that too

I am simply looking for which components to buy for the following purpouse:
# VR somewhat smooth experience without lag or anything
# gaming 2-3 hr a day(6-8 hrs on sundays) @ 720p with a max of 1080p(rare)
# light use of adobe illustrator, photoshop, after effects, premiere, handbrake

that is all i do with my PC.
I do not need 8k support i just want good frames at the above mentioned resolutions AND good frames with vr(i do not know if there are frame rates in VR if i am wrong please feel free to correct me).
Additional Info: I am from India so any Indians here living in India please answer with what latest prices you know.
The budget is not limited but try to keep the price low without compromising frames for 720p gaming and VR.
Sorry for the long post.
Thanks in advance.

Solution
Just do what I did and go get a 7700K, 16gigs 3000 ram, 1080ti, and SSD. Enjoy super-sampling x2.

edit: Smooth VR gameplay also means your system will do 1440P just fine.

Lutfij

Splendid
You're going to need an entire platform upgrade since even an FX-8000/9000 series processor struggles with VR. On another note, even if the board supported it, it wouldn't be able to handle the power delivery needed for the aforementioned processors.

Sakkura

Distinguished
Your system meets the minimum requirements for using an Oculus Rift, but if you want a smoother experience then you need a new GPU and CPU, as well as new motherboard and RAM to support the CPU. The rest can probably be kept, assuming the new hardware fits in your current case.

The CPU could be a Ryzen 5 chip, like the Ryzen 5 1600, or maybe a Core i5-8400 if you can pay a little more. You can step down to a Ryzen 5 1500 or similar if you need to save a little more money, but you'd get less value for money.

For the GPU, a GTX 1060 or RX 580 would be a good, affordable choice. If you really want to dial up the settings and have an extra smooth experience though, a GTX 1070 would be the way to go (or RX Vega 56 if you find it at a reasonable price).

delta5

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Just do what I did and go get a 7700K, 16gigs 3000 ram, 1080ti, and SSD. Enjoy super-sampling x2.

edit: Smooth VR gameplay also means your system will do 1440P just fine.

Solution

avik.bara

Prominent
Dec 8, 2017

Thanks i just wanted to know what to buy and you gave a straight answer.