How do I move apps to SD card on a Huawei ascend xt2

bboplovesboogie

Prominent
Dec 2, 2017
I just got a Huawei ascend xt2 and boought a brand new SD card for it and I can't figure out how to move apps to SD card. The phone runs nougat 7.0

Solution
First, you need to be using a phone that is running at least Android "Marshmallow" (or newer) or be able to upgrade to it. Second, you will need the instructions I am including below. And third, you need a phone that has not been restricted by the manufacturer from making this change. Which does happen.

NOTE: If any of the steps are missing on your phone, or they don't work for you, then you have a phone that either has an older Android version or has been restricted by the manufacturer.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Marshmallow" a.k.a. 6.0.

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped)...
First, you need to be using a phone that is running at least Android "Marshmallow" (or newer) or be able to upgrade to it. Second, you will need the instructions I am including below. And third, you need a phone that has not been restricted by the manufacturer from making this change. Which does happen.

NOTE: If any of the steps are missing on your phone, or they don't work for you, then you have a phone that either has an older Android version or has been restricted by the manufacturer.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Marshmallow" a.k.a. 6.0.

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Nougat" a.k.a. 7.0.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure you start with a blank SD card. When the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device), so anything on it prior would be gone.

1. Go to "Settings", and then select "Storage & USB".
2. At the bottom of the list you should see the SD card's details, including the option to format it and make it "Internal" storage.
3. Once this is done, reboot the device and you can start running things from the card.

If you don't reboot the phone, some things may not work correctly, so make sure you do the reboot.

Solution

dmorse2

Prominent
Jan 7, 2018

I see this response over and over again but it doesn't answer the question. Even if you're able to use your SD card as your "new internal storage" destination, apps still by default gets saved to the phone storage and you cannot move the apps.

That isn't actually correct. The instructions set up the phone to accept the card as "Internal" storage. Once done, you just would need to go into the "Settings" then "Apps" and finally "All". Locate the app you wish to move, tap that app and you should now see an option to move it. The converted to "Internal" storage would be the destination for any new apps you downloaded, as long as you set it up correctly. If they are still saving to the phones initial storage, then something isn't working correctly. Now when it comes to apps already on the phone, that you try to move to the card, that can be an issue as they will often still show as being on the phone and can give you issues when trying to do any updates.

Feb 19, 2018
I don't get this option. I set up the SD card as Internal memory and as default but my internal memory is 99% full and my SD card only 48%. I also don't get an option to move any apps to my SD card.

Mar 24, 2018

I have 3 of the Huawei ascend xt2 and all 3 do not give the option to move from the internal storage to the SD card.
I have formatted and switched my default storage to SD card. I have downloaded the apps afterwards and they are still going to the internal storage.