Asus 3s 10 merging apps into folders

esmond.west

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017
Just bought one of these but cannot merge apps into folders, or create folders. The manual says drag one on top of another but it don't work. Tried updating to Android 7 and every trick I know without any joy.

Solution
That is rather odd that it won't work. It can be a pain to get them to connect, I have had that where it just pushes the second icon away rather than combining them, however eventually it should work. If this isn't, then there is definitely something up on their end that the manufacturer should fix. I hope they get it sorted for you.

In the mean time, just remember if you don't use an icon, you can delete it from the screen. While the app (and the icon) are still on the device and installed, it just wouldn't be on the screen taking up space.

esmond.west

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017
Just trying to group certain apps together in a folder. The Samsung Tab 2 and numerous phones (using Android 7 ) create folders in this way by just draging one app on top of another. The Asus 3s manual gives this instruction so that you can merge apps into folders.

esmond.west

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017

esmond.west

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017
Sorry for my previous post, I am trying to create folders for icons.
Asus give no help whats-so-ever. Its impossible to contact their Tech help. Believe me, I spent two days trying.
I am been to Currys (Electronic Retailers) today and they have the Asus 3S 10 on display. Tried to merge icons into folders on this without any success.
So, perhaps the modified software on top of Android 7 OS written by the Asus engineers has a bug in it?

I was reading that one going, but that sounds like for icons. LOL Yeah it can be a tad confusing to explain.

It should be pretty simple to do. I have done it on accident even. :) It works on most versions of Android.

You don't actually create a folder first. You start it by combining two icons to start. That will make a 'folder', which you can then name, place where you want it and add other icons to.

Tap and hold any icon you want to move. It takes a bit of maneuvering, but you want to 'slowly' and 'lightly' place it over the other icon you want to place it in a folder with. I find it kind of funny that it can be done so easily accidentally but will be a hassle trying to do it on purpose. It does work.

esmond.west

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017

esmond.west

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017
I've tried webworking's suggestions. Doesn't work on my Asus. I've even slowed the pointer rate down to minimum. Doesn't work. My retailer coached me thru several Asus troubleshooting solutions which he found on some special help Asus provide retailers for tech issues. Got nowhere......
I have tried to contact Asus Tech help by phone - never got thru to anyone. My phone was disconnected after 15 mins of waiting. This happened 4 times. Tried Asus chat lines, likewise was never connected. I then went to Asus email help, who replied by suggesting I contact Android.com. They have links to several manufacturers like Samsung and Nexus on the Android.com website but none for Asus!!
Then I tested another Asus 3s 10 at a local retail outlet. That also would not merge icons into folders.
Checked a couple of forums re Asus devices and this problem seems endemic with their tablets.
I think I'm probably going to have to wait until Asus sort out the issue with a software update, and live with having five or six pages of apps on my home screen!

That is rather odd that it won't work. It can be a pain to get them to connect, I have had that where it just pushes the second icon away rather than combining them, however eventually it should work. If this isn't, then there is definitely something up on their end that the manufacturer should fix. I hope they get it sorted for you.

In the mean time, just remember if you don't use an icon, you can delete it from the screen. While the app (and the icon) are still on the device and installed, it just wouldn't be on the screen taking up space.

Solution

kudbegud

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
I'm having the same problem. GRRRRRRR I installed Nova launcher and now I can make folders like all Android phones and tablets are supposed to work. But I have to rebuild the screens from scratch. Oh well, sigh. Lost that nice clock with weather in the Asus launcher. Looking for it and will use it if I can find it. Any hints would be appreciated.

drmikegray

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018
Go to the App screen and choose 'Smart group' from the menu. App icons are automatically grouped and then you can add and remove icons form each group as you please. The groups/folders can then be added to your home screens.
Sorted!

Mar 19, 2018
By trial and error only, I have found that merging apps into folders on the home screen can only take place on the bottom line. So I drag the first app I'd like to merge to an empty space on the bottom line and then i can add other apps to it. Once I'm done, if I wish, I can drag the folder back up into the center somewhere, and it will continue to be receptive to additional icons. Working for me.