Xfinity mobile data is way above what phone and experience says it should be

pamela.parks33

Prominent
Nov 17, 2017
My partner just signed up with Xfinity mobile as we are now living where comcast is the cable service provided. He rarely used much data and his new phone reflects his prior type data amounts, BUT, Comcast/Xfinity is showing tons more data and refuses to share what apps are supposedly doing this. The support folks just give him the runaround.

Are they rounding up each day???? EVEN with that, they have him WAY over the amount of data he uses according to his phone. Recently we traveled on the day my Verizon plan started. Within 1-2 days, he was at 800 mg according to Xfinity. (Phone is Apple 7) he shut down his data for 99+% of the remaining time. He remained below 1 G. Now, a couple of days into his new cycle, his phone shows ~1.25 mb and Xfinity 125MB or similar. This is nuts!!! Meanwhile, I'm still on my data from 10/31 and used the phone for all sorts of internet during a cross country trip as well as maps, etc. My data is at 429 mb.

This is nuts, but clearly dealing with Comcast/Xfinity is getting us nowhere.

Why is there such a huge discrepancy??

Your router probably has logs you can configure to track data usage and where it's coming from. Set that up and check the logs. There may also be a 3rd party app for the phone to track the data usage better https://www.lifewire.com/apps-for-monitoring-mobile-data-usage-817908. Are you sure the phone shows what data the cell service uses or total data including WiFi?

pamela.parks33

Prominent
Nov 17, 2017
It seems that his old iPhone was on, but only theoretically linked to WiFi.... it had no phone number at this point and the battery would have died while we were out of town and maybe before some of the massive data use occurred. He had used it for Pandora, though, I'm not sure it was used any time around then... AND, it was only used on our WiFi. It was cellular data that was WAY out of sync.

Phone is now OFF!! and the data reflected by the new iPhone and Xfinity this cycle are pretty much in sync. Something weird must happen with an old phone that is 'on' even if you think it is just on WiFi.