Samsung Galaxy Tab A won't swype

jhgsoccermom

Prominent
Nov 8, 2017
I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab A. It works great except Swype. I turned on the swype feature and it shows my finger trail, but the words don't appear. Everything else works fine.

mlanning18

Prominent
Dec 25, 2017
Did you ever find a solution? I called samsung tech support and they couldnt figure it out so they told me to exchange my tab. I am on my 2nd one now and still having the same problem.

allisonkalmes

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
I had the same problem and think it was because I did not have English downloaded as my main language. Once I downloaded it I was able to use Swype. You can download it by going to Settings -> General management -> Language and input -> On-screen Keyboard -> Samsung Keyboard -> Language and types -> Manage Input Languages. From here you can download whichever your preferred language is. Hopefully this helps!

Feb 27, 2018

same problem. Although English is set as the default language it has to be downloaded. [don't post your email address on the forum]

Mar 17, 2018
I just had the same issue. I bought my Tab for the Swype. When you go to Settings, Language and Input, you cannot just select English. You need to click on the English, and it will ask if US, Australia, etc. Select the correct one to download. Now go back to anything that will open keyboard, like mail. On the keyboard, hold down on the microphone icon key just left of space bar. It will give you a few options. Hold down the Settings icon - it will open, click on Manage Language types and make sure you have downloaded English version correctly, go back, and select Smart Typing. I turned all items on, and at the bottom clicked swipe to type. It worked for me!

Apr 7, 2018
These are the steps:
1. General management
2. Language and input
3. On screen keyboard
4. Samsung keyboard
5. Manage input languages
6. English (select down arrow to download)
7. Make sure keyboard swipe is selected under smart typing

***It should work now, hope this helps****

Apr 26, 2018

This worked for me. I factory reset my tablet yesterday and couldn't Swype. Thanks for the fix.

Sep 11, 2018
The steps given below worked. I assumed the English Language was installed but it isn't. You have to take these steps to download it. Swype worked for me when I downloaded English for my language.

Dec 26, 2018

This worked for me! For some reason, my galaxy tab a hard English (UK version) on it. Download English (us version) and now it works great! Thanks!

Dec 26, 2018

This DID work.
Thanks!!!!!!!!- -cortney